Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT NETPROTECT PLUS v Mcafee Security 1

Go to solution

Hi ,

Recently upgraded to Infinity 1 unlimited so now can get Bt Net ProtectPlus free of charge , although I am currently using Mcafee Security 1 to protect my Windows 7 laptop.

To date I have been pleased with Mcafee but subscription can cost up to £40 per annum , sometimes discounted to around £25.

My question is should I now replace with Net Protect Plus which I understand is a Mcafee product and also no extra cost !

My Mcafee currently offers :-

Realtime & schedule scans ,Anti virus & spyware,Web & mail protection, Firewall , Vulnerability scanner , Parental controls , Quick clean ,Shredder, De frag , Auto updates

My concern is messing up something that works Ok and not replacing with like for like protection, can anyone advise if Net Protect Plus would be as good as if not better please

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT NETPROTECT PLUS v Mcafee Security 1

Go to solution

My advice and that of others on the forum would be not to install BTNetprotect or McAfee. They can and have caused problems on some computers. There are very good free antivirus programs such as Avast Free which come out high on review sites.

Having said that, if you find that McAfee is working for you and doing everything you want of it you should continue to use it at least up to the end of your present subscription.

BT Netprotect is basically the same product and should give you more or less the same protection.

If you do wat to use BTNetprotect make sure that you uninstall McAfee first and use the McAfee removal tool found on the McAfee website after you have restarted your computer after the uninstall.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

I've had a quick look, and so far as I can tell, almost all of those features are there either as standard or as optional downloads (which I generally don't bother with).  However, I don't see any mail protection.

If you want parental controls, BT also offers it separately in a way which applies to your whole broadband account, so it applies to any kind of device.

Personally, I've been using NetProtect Plus for several years, and it hasn't broken any of my computers yet.  That said, I gave up on it on an old Windows XP netbook, which couldn't really cope with McAfee.  It ground to a halt when updating or doing the weekly scan.  It should work fine on any reasonably modern machine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks , yes mail protection is included.

However I think , as Im Windows 7 and a fairly old l;aptop I will give Bt Net protect a miss and either renew Mcafee or as suggested by others , try out Avast.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

If McAfee works for you, then Netprotect Plus should as well, since it's just McAfee with a BT badge stuck on it.

0 Ratings