cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT Net Protect Plus

After having yet another problem with virus/trojan/spyware installed on my computer last week, I rang the BT Net Protect Plus for advice on removal (why does this happen when I'm supposed to be protected?). Previously I have been given advice over the telephone although this isn't always trustworthy. The last time called I knew I had an infection yet the advisor assured me that it was my computer that was at fault - I simply did a system restore & manually resolved the problem.

However, on this occasion whatever had infected the computer would not allow me to do this. I contacted BT who hesitantly told me they could help & subsequently transferred me to BT Tech Experts. I then had to pay £50 for the privilege of the advice given- albeit good- to remove.

Should this not be free as I am paying £3.49 a month for a service that doesn't protect? Have I been 'conned' into advice that I should not have been charged for? And if Net protect Plus is so good, why did the advisor install Malwarebytes & Antispyware software to prevent another problem?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Net Protect Plus

I can't answer your questions, but I can say that many people advice against using NetProtect. For what it's worth, I got so fed up with McAfee (purchased direct) that I abandoned it with a year to run on my subscription. I haven't regretted it for a moment. There's some more here: BT Forum AV Advice

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

BT give Netprotect Plus away free to customers, so you're unlikely to get any useful support for nothing.

Virus scanners are a lot less effective than the makers would have you believe.  Any sensible virus writer will test their virus against all the popular scanners to make sure it's not detected before releasing their virus.  It's then a game of catch-up as the virus scanner companies have to discover the virus, create a signature for it, then add it to their daily updates.

If you get the virus before the update comes out, then the scanner will do nothing to help you.  That's especially true if the virus also disables the daily updates.

Downloading a new scanner, and immediately updating it, may catch the virus that your regular program didn't.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

I have just dumped Netprotect Plus and gone to Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). It's free. I did a regular scan with Netprotect Plus that never found anything. The first scan with MSE found some suspect files and quarantined them. 

The main reason for dumping Netprotect Plus was the increase in resources it was taking. MSE seems less resource hungry.

I am on Windows 7 so the Microsoft firewall along with MSE is fine. Not so sure what MSE would be like under XP

Regards Mike
0 Ratings