Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT NetProtect Plus - BT cancelled it without telling me

Go to solution

One of the reasons I have stayed with BT Broadband for the past few years is the provision of free anti-virus software within my Broadband Option 3 package.

This week I renewed for Unlimited Broadband (which I was advised was the equivalent of Option 3) for a further 12 months but the Customer Options advisor did NOT explain to me that BT Net Protect Plus would no longer be provided to me free of charge.

I have found out I will have to pay £3.49 per month for anti-virus software from now on. I feel I have been tricked by BT. They seem to be constantly redesigning their packages to squeeze as much money out of customers as possible. Almost like a budget airline.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT NetProtect Plus - BT cancelled it without telling me

Go to solution

BT Netprotect is £3.49 with Unlimited Broadband and Broadband Option 1. It is only free with Infinity and Options 2 and 3. See this link.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12640/c/346/related/1

Having said that why anybody would want to install it is beyond me. It uses a lot of resources and can cause problems on some computers. Just do a search of NT Netprotect / McAfee on this forum. It also scores poorly on antivirus reviews.

There are plenty of free and better antivirus programs such as Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG 1013 Free or Avast Free. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

gg is right. I wouldn't use NetProtect even if BT offered me a £3.49 reduction for it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
But then there are others who like it. Like me.

We all have a choice.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

You should contact the mods, you should threaten them by saying that you will charge back the transactions for the whole 12 months. You can't legally do that but it should make them do what you ask for, has always worked for me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
......and your post being so helpful.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

It may be that the OP was wrongly advised about the specification of Unlimited Broadband and could have a complaint about that.

He however now has Unlimited Broadband the specifications of which clearly show that it does not have BT Netprotect and has 2gb of BT Cloud and cost £16 per month. The option Unlimited Broadband Plus clearly shows that it does have BT Netprotect and 50gb of BT Cloud and costs £21. The difference in price I assume is to cover the cost of BT Netprotect and the additional space on BT Cloud.

See this link for packages:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25633&s_cid=con_ppc_m...

It appears to me that the OP would end up paying for BT Netprotect one way or the other, either as an optional extra at £3.49 per month or as part of the package which would cost him £5 per month more, so telling him to make threats which "you can't legally do but should make them do as you ask"  would appear to me to be the most idiotic post on this thread! 

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Post deleted by Poster

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

However IF he was misold the package I would think he would be on strong ground to insist on having the previous package back.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@Bob1001 wrote:

However IF he was misold the package I would think he would be on strong ground to insist on having the previous package back.

They don't do that named package any more so they couldn't give it to him but the similar package, Unlimited Broadband Plus, would cost him the same as the package he was given if he adds BT Netprotect so he would have to pay for it which ever package he took.

He may have a complaint that he was not informed that the package he was sold did not contain BTNetprotect or was a complete mirror of his previous package but it could be argued, did he ask if it did contain BT Netprotect.

I don't think you are obliged to state what is not in a product unless specifically asked, only what is. It may be that people need to read what they signing up for before accepting

0 Ratings