cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe-90
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT NetProtect Plus - Virus Definition Link Error

Could someone from the BT NetProtect Team contact me by telephone as a matter of urgency please. I think I have found a couple of major problems.

The first is that when opening "Log Viewer" then going to "Detection Log" within the McAfee package and clicking any link shown for a virus which has been identified the resulting page you are sent to "hxxp://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/ThreatSearch.aspx" [replace xx with tt - do not like posting live links in forums] comes up as "We’re sorry, the page you requested cannot be found". However if you go to McAfee's own Threat Directory page you can manually look up the item with no problems. This is either a BT update problem or a McAfee linking problem - either way round it needs addressing ASAP.

More worryingly, if I am reading what I see correctly, there is a link from a page within the McAfee package which could cause a major problem and could lead to BT's web pages for this product being changed by your customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously not prepared to give this one in an open forum.

I have to admit after installing this product, unsuccessfully I might add, on another machine resulting in a couple of hours of an overseas "technical expert" [sic] probing the machine and destroying the registry (total loss of operating system and MS office package which I never followed up with StephanieG) I was a bit sceptical when I saw the BT branding all over it but still installed it on my laptop. I have always used McAfee in the past and as it is part of my broadband package it's a shame not to use it and pay (or not) for another. However I would be more confident in a BT branded piece of software of this complexity when BT show they can code their own website consistently - regularly never goes where the links say (circles or dead pages etc). The main concern was that McAfee had allowed BT to tinker with what was a perfectly good (albeit occasionally bloated) product - looks like they may have. Either that or McAfee have contracted out the BT Partner development/support to the same so called team of "technical experts" who botched my other machine!

On a final note - why have I had to register yet again for this now very quiet seemingly "unsupportive" forum? Looking through the posts all the people who provided valuable back up (where BT failed) and common sense have jumped ship and the "sense" of Community has completely disappeared.

Joe-90

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
joe-90
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT NetProtect Plus - Virus Definition Link Error

My bad - sorry. A bit more digging (and trawling the McAfee website) brings up the alteration page I thought could have modded something set up specifically for BT. So that one looks like a McAfee problem as to whether punters should be able to get to that link!

The link from "Detected" items to a "null" page is still an issue though but again looks as though it may be of McAfee's making. Support links within their own site point to "home.mcafee.com/AdviceCenter/Default.aspx?culture=en-us" and "home.mcafee.com/AdviceCenter/Default.aspx?culture=en-gb" which go to the "We’re sorry, the page you requested cannot be found" page.

Still needs taking up with McAfee though. What's the point of an automated link & then having to go manually rooting around for the Threat Centre search to find out what you have picked up & how bad it is.

Sorry to have been so quick to denigrate.

Joe-90

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 4

joe-90 said:

On a final note - why have I had to register yet again for this now very quiet seemingly "unsupportive" forum? Looking through the posts all the people who provided valuable back up (where BT failed) and common sense have jumped ship and the "sense" of Community has completely disappeared.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think if you take the trouble to look at the forum stats.... you'll see that it is well served for the amount of time it has been running, with a huge number of various subjects and applied resolutions to problems, as well as a large membership that continues to grow.

As for problem solving, you probably didn't get an answer to yours, as it didn't exist.... or seemingly so, from your own valition to appologise in your second post.

0 Ratings
r1sh12
Expert
Message 4 of 4

I think that mcafee link is not working because the latest version of virus definitions made mcafee delete some mportant kernel file for windows.

This would then not allow windows to start up because such an important file would be removed from the hard drive.

Its the mcafee auto update that caused many users have corrupt operating systems.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/security-management/2010/04/22/mcafee-update-failure-causes-widespread-x...

mcafee have removed these updates so peoples computers would continue to work. Mcafee have had a few issues so be a little careful when updating, be sure to check no one else has issues with the specific update.

0 Ratings