cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

BT NetProtect Plus: find blocked ports for a program

I am running an application where there needs to be communication between it and another application. It is not working and it has been suggested that the application uses a local port which is being blocked.

I need to know how to find which local ports the applications use, and how to allow each program to allow traffic on those ports.

I have everything being logged, but the security history report does not show the information I need even when listing "everything".

So how do I find out what ports these programs are using?

Then, how do I add these ports allowing the two programs to use them?

I've tried all the options for logging, allowing, asking me whether to block/allow etc etc. and just can't find a way of getting the info I need or the way to set up specific programs with specific ports.

Am I missing something?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT NetProtect Plus: find blocked ports for a program

If this is all on the same PC, ports shouldn't come into it. What happens if you disable NetProtect temporarily?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

It is all on the same PC. But the author of the application says firewalls may block the local port that the two applications use to communicate, so I have assumed he knows what he is talking about.

I did try turning the firewall off. No difference. Still won't work. So yes, it can't be the firewall blocking anything.

But I am interested in the answers to my questions in any case. How to find out what ports a program uses? How to specify which ports are allowed for a particular program. I could do all this in Norton easily, BT Netprotect Plus seems much more difficult to use altogether. (though I am not praising Norton. It gave me all sorts of other problems).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

If you Google <application name> port you will find the port used. However, a port is only applicable in terms of a network, not within one PC. If you think of it in telephone terms, your IP address is the switchboard telephone number and the port is the extension number.

Edit: A list of ports used by applications can be found here http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?&page=1

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

If you go to Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>Resource Monitor  click on the 'Network' tab and 'Listening ports' you will see a list of ports in use. See screenshot below.

ports.jpg

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Thanks.

Resource Monitor is started from Task Manager in Vista. It does not show any ports.

However, I got TCPview from sysinternals and got ports that way. But, it's complicated. The application fails in a blink of the eye so would not show up for long enough to catch it. (I am trying to find out why it fails). So, I can't get ports for the particular application as would flash past too quickly to see anything even if it were to appear at all.

I next ran process monitor from sysinternals. It shows a few problems for the application including dns settings in the registry - NAME NOT FOUND - but I don't know if they are significant for the actual problem I am chasing.

Currently trying process explorer from sysinternals to see if I can find anything further.

The application is not one that one can google and get answers. That's why I am doing all this.

But all this is irrelevant to the two questions I asked relating to BT Netprotect Plus as in how do I......

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

@pamelap wrote:

But all this is irrelevant to the two questions I asked relating to BT Netprotect Plus as in how do I......

Sorry, can't help with the specifics of BT Netprotect as I don't use it. However, most people here agree that it is a very poor application and recommend un-installing it and using one of the free AV's such as AVG or Avast. Might be worth giving one or other of them try.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

I can't answer your specific problem either but I would try uninstalling BTNetprotect/McAfee and see if this allows your programs to operate the way they should. BTNetprotect/McAfee is known to cause problems on some computers.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

I would agree with the advice from licquorice to uninstall BTNetprotect and use another program such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Thanks.

The only reason I am using BT Netprotect Plus is because it is free with my BT account.

I have been unhappy with it as I often want to set up my own rules or find out exactly what is going on, etc., and can't.

Maybe in this case free means not worth paying for!

I like most of the more common free avs like avg and avast so will consider changing as suggested.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

@pamelap wrote:

Thanks.

Maybe in this case free means not worth paying for!

As with most things from BT!!!

As an aside, if you bank with Barclays, they offer a free subscription to Kasperky.

0 Ratings