cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

BT NetProtect and my laptop

Hi All, just thought I would share this in case it helps anyone.

Installed BT NetProtect on two laptops and a tower PC about a year ago. Been ok on the tower, but have had problems on the laptops. One is my daughters and isn't available at the moment to investigate further but my own laptop started to have real problems culminating with a blue screen and the laptop stuck in a boot cycle that only safe mode could get out of. I had previously been having problems that event viewer had identified as problems with mcshield.exe so in safe mode I uninstalled NetProtect and installed MSE and so far all seems ok.

Prior to all this I had had frequent issues with failed shutdowns and freezes, again that the event log had invariably identified as problems with Mcafee. I have to say that I have not had similar problems on the tower PC that I use for quite high power games such as running FSX with TileProxy, Real Weather simulation etc. So I suspect that Mcafee is possibly not so good on laptops. I did find that the problems only seemed to ensue when the lid was closed and opened a few times or other users had logged in by switch user, as you do during an average day. Shutting down the laptop fully each time it wasn't in use seemed to improve things but what a pain! The tower PC does not get used like this so I have concluded that maybe Mcafee doesn't deal well with laptops being used in the way that my family tended to use it.

So far so good with MSE but looking around because it seems to have varying reviews!

All the best.

PS: In the above I have used both NetProtect and Mcafee to describe the same product, appol's for any confusion!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT NetProtect and my laptop

In my opinion Microsoft Security Essentials is massively better than the McAfee product, both more effective and it will run well on a much wider range of computers.  

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

BT Netprotect can cause problems on some computers. It is also a resource hog and can massively slow your computer down, especially during a scan. My advice would be to remove it from your computers and install one of the many free antivirus such as Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast or AVG.

I have used all three and personally find AVG better than MSE.

0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Hi All, thanks for the replies. So far no problem with MSE and will stick with tht for a bit. In the past I have used AVG Free and paid for Norton Internet Security without any of the problems that I have had with McAfee.

Any opinions on site advisor pluggins?

All the best. FTF

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

just enter netprotect or Mcafee into the forum search and you will see the problems time and time again
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Thompson218 wrote:

Any opinions on site advisor pluggins?

Have a look at Web of Trust.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

tHanks, giving it a try now.

0 Ratings