Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Netprotect Plus - Installation Problem

Go to solution

Having upgraded to option 2, I decided to download BT Netprotect plus. Did it first on laptop running Vista and everything went fine. Problem arose when I tried to download to desktop pc running XP. Download seems to go fine, I do reboot part-way through as requested, and installation continues. Finally I get the unhelpful message "Installation Incomplete", and "we couldn't install any of the security features included with your software". I am given two options - try again, which I've now done several times with the same result, and "Run McAfee Virtual Technician". I've also tried this latter option but the installation of this fails also.

Can anyone help me please.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Netprotect Plus - Installation Problem

Go to solution

There's a lot of material on this forum very critical of McAfee's AV, and many customers have decided to use something else. The problem you are having is typical but even when it's installed the program can be problematic, particularly because it is such a huge resource hog.

If you had an effective AV before you upgraded why not revert to it, or consider one of the excellent free alternatives? If you decide to do that, you should run the McAfee Removal Tool after uninstalling the program. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks. I used Kaspersky before but it was up for renewal. The prospect of free AV from BT was a tempting alternative. I'll check out other free AV in case I don't get anywhere with BTNP.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Home users simply don't need to pay for an effective AV these days. The free one most often recommended here is Microsoft Security Essentials, but a little internet research for user reviews will help you choose. An occasional scan with the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is also recommended as belt and braces. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you. I did a brief search but settled on Microsoft Security Essentials. Installed without problem and I now have a reassuring green tick!! Also downloaded the AntiMalware program and that is currently humming away. Interestingly, when I uninstalled Kaspersky, the pc ran much faster. Just hope this new stuff doesn't slow it down again!! Thanks again.

0 Ratings