Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 24

Re: BT Netprotect Plus/McAfee will not load

chemist_uk wrote: 

I'm wondering if it is actually any better than the FREE Microsoft Security Essentials? It's not. 

Without Netprotect, my laptop now runs like lightning !!! No surprise to anyone who's ditched it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
davem44
Contributor
Message 12 of 24

Windows 8 has security essentials built in as well so net protect really  is just extre software also remember to turn defender off if you do install net protect as they could well conflict

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 24

@davem44 wrote:

Windows 8 has security essentials built in as well so net protect really  is just extre software also remember to turn defender off if you do install net protect as they could well conflict

Good point. You wouldn't want to install MSE and another AV pre-Windows 8 and I'm wondering whether it's wise to do so when it's built-in. I expect there's some Microsoft advice on the issue.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
davem44
Contributor
Message 14 of 24

Microsoft are allowing manufacturers to disable defender so they can put trail software on in windows 8 but every bit of advice from computer mags and forums is to delete the extra software and turn defender on one of the reasons wh security ess worked was microsoft know the software

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 24

My previous post was a bit off-key as I didn't realise that Defender was the name of the W8 AV (it's anti-malware in its previous guise and is turned off when MSE is installed). Same principle applies though.

--
0 Ratings
davem44
Contributor
Message 16 of 24

It is a little misleading if you dont check around but microsoft have rolled security essentials and defender into one program for win 8

0 Ratings
waynefaunt
Beginner
Message 17 of 24

Hi - Bobfred.

I have the same problem. After installing Windows 8 Pro I removed the old McAfee software and attempted to re-install the Win 8 version - following the instructions to the letter (several times over). The file "McAfeeSetup - Serial " downloads OK but will not run. I've spent a couple of hours on to the helpdesk who kept trying all the same things I had already done - without success. BT Helpdesk have now referred the issue to McAfee whose initial responses was to say that it should work and go over the same stuff again several more times - again to no avail! I'm now waiting for a fix from McAfee so I can have the protection I'm paying for - 10 days and counting with no virus checker. The latest suggestion from the helpdesk was to get another virus checker on a free trial which I can  then remove when they work out a solution for the problem............ 

0 Ratings
bobfred
Beginner
Message 18 of 24

Ok i have gotten myself, another security system as i still can't open it, but i can't uninstall it, as everything i try just opens McAfee blank and i can't do anything so does anyone know how to uninstall it?

0 Ratings
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 24

To remove and uninstall BTNP - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523/c/346,510,2168

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 24

If you're still having difficulty you could try McAfee customer services on 0207 9490107. When I had to call them some years ago I found them very helpful, much more so than the product itself, which is long gone from my computers. 

--
0 Ratings