Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 28

Re: BT Netprotect Plus & Windows 8

@Heavy_Metal_Blue wrote:
NetProtect Plus will not be available until November 5th. 

Just in time to put it on the bonfire if you ask me; it's awful. I've used several free AVs over the years (currently MSE) and every one has been preferable to McAfee.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
davem44
Contributor
Message 12 of 28

The person who has a trail version of macafee good luck as net protect caused a conflict after I put windows 8 on and I ended up having to clean install windows 8 and its basicly the same software as net protect and when I went to macafee for a trail vsn they state its not compabible with win 8. Windows 8 has security essentials included in defender so there is no real problem for those of us waiting for the upgraded net protect ( I might not bother anyway as security essentials should be good enough anyway)

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 13 of 28

Of course, there will be hardly any programs compatible in the first week due to it having a whole new API and the programs not using them and old API functions being removed so even if you could get it to install you will more than likely have a lot of errors you're best off waiting for an Official release of win8 compatability.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 28

That's only true if you're running an ARM based Win8 tablet. Not an Intel based Win8 PC or laptop.

0 Ratings
StephanieG
Community Manager - Retired
Message 15 of 28

There was problems for Windows 8 users who downloaded BT NetProtect Plus on bt.com, but this has been fixed.

If you still have problems with this a simple uninstall/reinstall of BT NetProtect Plus should fix them, as it'll ensure you have the most up to date version of the software.

Stephanie
0 Ratings
lindat5372
Beginner
Message 16 of 28

I've just updated to windows 8 , reinstalled Netprotect plus and everything said it was working ok, but within 2 days I had an email worm that had sent an email to everyone in my address book.  I'm furious!!!!

In windows 8 you can run browser as an app or desktop. If you run as an app action center isn't visible on the tool bar at the bottom, when I ran my browser as a desktop version I saw action center had flagged up problems when I looked at them it was saying I had no virus, firewall or malware checking software running. I looked at netprotect and it said everything was working fine.

It couldn't have been working as I got the infection in my email.  I've removed it for now and am using the built in virus checker along with malwarebyte until I can get some answers.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 28

I would not rely solely on the Microsoft Security that comes with Windows 8. As far as I am aware it does not have email scanning or web protection. You would be better to install either Avast free antivirus or AVG Antivirus free 2013 both of which will give email protection as well as web protection and normal antivirus protection. Both these products come out at the top of most computer magazine tests where as McAfee and Microsoft come out about mid-way against other antivirus products.   

0 Ratings
pwlh526
Beginner
Message 18 of 28

I have bought a new desktop with Windows 8 installed and also upgraded my old (winows 7) laptop to windows 8.

I installed BT Netprotect Plus on both. now the Action Center flags up errors that there is no Virus Protection and no Firewall turned on, no Spyware protection either

When I look open McAfee/BT Netprotect Plus vis the M icon, it says everthing is secure and I am protected. Is this just a communications problem between the Windows 8 Security Center and the Mcafee software?

(If I click on the option to turn the mcafee software options on in the Action Center, they just go off again.)

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 28

If BTNetprotect is installed and showing that it is working OK then it will be the Action Centre reporting incorrectly. You can turn off the reports by going into the Action Centre and click on the "Change Action Center Settings" then untick the security messages that you don't want Windows to report.

davem44
Contributor
Message 20 of 28

Macafee and win 8 are having compatability issues again according to reports MACAFEE MIGHT NOT BE WORKING

0 Ratings