Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 28

Re: BT Netprotect Plus & Windows 8

Yet another reason to uninstall it and install one of the antivirus programmes listed in this thread.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 28

If they're incompatible I would get rid of one; given that Windows is essential to most people it has to be NetProtect that goes. And you'll be better for it because there are plenty of superior, free alternatives out there; Microsoft Security Essentials is often recommended on this forum. In short, don't persist with McAfee just because it's there.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
pwlh526
Beginner
Message 23 of 28

Yes, but I presume the messages are there for a reason - maybe McAfee needs to sort this out with Microsoft?

0 Ratings
pwlh526
Beginner
Message 24 of 28

It says it IS working so who do I believe?

0 Ratings
pwlh526
Beginner
Message 25 of 28

I have always been happy with McAfee in the past (and Dr Solomons before that).

If it is no good then why would BT provide it?

0 Ratings
pwlh526
Beginner
Message 26 of 28

On what basis do you say "Superior"?

I was using MSE but thought I might as well use Netprotect Plus since BT were providing it for free.

As a (retired) software engineer, my philosophy is "if it does not work properly, sort it out".

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 28

I don't know which one is "superior" but McAfee consistantly does poorly on tests. (Search the web for "Best Antivirus") There also seems to be a lot of problems BT Netprotect Plus, just search this forum. Having said that there will be no doubt thousands of BT users who will have had no problems with it. The choice is yours but personaly I have removed it from my computers because of the problems.

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 28

The specific problem for me was that McAfee is such a huge resource hog. OK, my main laptop coped with it fairly well, but the less powerful netbook was paralysed for several minutes after booting while McAfee strutted its stuff. The difference when I installed MSE was so remarkable that I ditched McAfee with a year's subscription left. MSE updates and scans unnoticed, and it's not the only free AV that's better than McAfee in that respect.

As gg says, yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice. BT's choice of partner was not a good one, and there's nothing to be gained from going along with it if it doesn't suit.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings