Re: BT O/R Boost Engineer coming.

Already have a 3b they replaced it a few weeks before infinity 2 upgrade
0 Ratings
martpu
Expert
Message 22 of 42

@jussa21 wrote:
Martpu hows your speed doing still good I hope?

Hi jussa,

My speeds are all good cheers mate (usually around 72.5mb down / 14-17mb up dependent on test site - this on a 75.03 IP Profile).  HOWEVER!  The ONLY time I will get these speeds constantly fella is if I turn the BT NetProtect Plus firewall off?!

Not sure why the firewall is playing havoc in my case but it's 100% fact that the firewall is definitely the issue (I've run dozens of tests with firewall both on and off.  With it off all are consistent and with it on maybe 20%).

Just waiting for a new security package to arrive to see whether it makes the difference.  Being the mug I am I ordered the software before even trying one of the trial softwares so will probably download a trial before I open the box just in case it's a waste of time!

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Jeax
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 42

Any ideas what the device was? Was it something that messed with the hardware/line/router/socket? Or Was it more something that dialed in to bt itself to fix it from their end. Would be great if anybody knows what they did, as if theres a quick fix like that, that improves speeds by that much id love to know what it was! 😛
0 Ratings
jonstatt
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 42

I suspect all that happened was a profile reset. I know Openreach always say, the DLM is fully automated and if the line is good speeds will go back up. I think however it is like a latch mechanism...easy to go down, but requires the line to be extra good to go back up. So in many cases it never returns. I think the DLM is over-sensitive. After I upgraded although my downstream improved, I lost a meg from my upstream. I think this is because instead of putting the interleaving up one notch, it knocked the target SNR instead. Unfortunately a few days later it put the interleaving up as well, but I never got that 1 Meg of upload speed back.

0 Ratings
jussa21
Contributor
Message 25 of 42

well he should be here in the next few hours i will quiz him to find out what he does and post later

0 Ratings
stelee
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 42

@Jeax wrote:
Any ideas what the device was? Was it something that messed with the hardware/line/router/socket? Or Was it more something that dialed in to bt itself to fix it from their end. Would be great if anybody knows what they did, as if theres a quick fix like that, that improves speeds by that much id love to know what it was! 😛

It was a profile reset, he told me synch of line to cab, 72+mb, and that when speedtests done it will vary for about 10 days. It seemed, he did a couple of speed tests for the profile and set them with his mobile calling something to do with BT.

He did test line coming in box, and too openreach faceplate off and measured direct synch, and earthed the machine to the radiator lol, well it is a bit thundery 🙂 .

He then set it, called BT using our phone. And said any probs call my neightbour he knows that works for BT O/R too.  He lived v local the engineer.

HOWEVER the speedtests are very weird at the moment, anything from 35- 72mb , but ill keep an eye on this for a while.

Its my Birthday today, so im going to get a little bit trollyed later , so i might not be back til tommorow :).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------BT Infinity 2 | 80/20 | SamKnows™ Infinity 2 Member | (EASBF)

Stephen
0 Ratings
jussa21
Contributor
Message 27 of 42

Well he must be at the cab dsl has gone down
0 Ratings
jussa21
Contributor
Message 28 of 42

Well that was a waste of time like I said dal went off for about 10mins then no engineer showed up at my house no phone call on anything not happy
0 Ratings
jussa21
Contributor
Message 29 of 42

Right engineer today after last weeks no show to be told that speed is set at 55 on my cab so I am only seeing 41 at my end no very happy since my est was 55/15 I thought that ment my house not the f**king cab think I need to get my old contract back has been a joke since I upgraded false speed est on web site think I mite take legail advise
0 Ratings
dersam
Contributor
Message 30 of 42

it does mean at your house.   I'm at 39 on the cab and get 37 at the house - the speed they pick up at the cab is your sync speed and should be comparable give or take a bit of loss

Now, if your IP profile is 50+ and you get 40+ that's normal,  but saying you get  10mbps less at home than the cab doesnt make sense unless your line is super long (note mine is 600m from the cab)

0 Ratings