cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dazroberts
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Online Player no longer works

Due to the recent updates to all web browsers such as Firefox and Microsoft Edge etc the BT Online Player no longer works meaning you are unable to watch anything on a laptop or pc (especially annoying for me because I work a lot of shifts).  This is due to the web browsers no longer supporting add-ons like flash player and silverlight. There are new add-ons such as  HTML5 which are supported but it appears BT are not up to date with this which surprises me as this has been in the pipeline for nearly 2 years.

Has anyone got any idea when BT are going to update their system so the player will work again or any idea how to solve the problem (I do not want to have to downgrade my web browser just to get this to work).

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gomezz
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Online Player no longer works

Use the BT Sport app instead (on the assumption you are running Windows 10).

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Expert
Message 3 of 10

It does work with Microsoft Edge, you have to enable flash player in the advanced settings of the edge browser menu.

Also Google Chrome has flash built in so it works in there as well. However as suggested, if you are running Windows 10, the BT Sport App downloaded from the Windows Store is very good.
0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

It doesn't work in Google Chrome. I've just tested. I've also taken this from the help page which is linked to in the 'browser incompatibility' message 

Browser compatibility for the online player

On PC

Browser:

• Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10 11
  • Firefox version 29 - 51 (version 52 not currently supported)

Operating system: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10

On Mac

Browser:

• Safari 6.2.7 and above
  • Firefox v.29.01 and above

You'll also need Microsoft Silverlight installed on your computer. This is a free browser plug-in that you can download here: www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight.

Google Chrome no longer supports Microsoft Silverlight, so please use another browser if you're having problems viewing through Google Chrome.

0 Ratings
Dazroberts
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thats the problem I use Firefox which no longer supports silverlight and most of the other web browsers either do not support or soon won't. Can't believe a big company like BT is so far behind the ball with this its not like it wasn't expected.

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Expert
Message 6 of 10

BT Sport Online Player doesn't use Microsoft Silverlight anymore, it's been using Adobe flash since august 2015.
0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

I believe he's referring to the online BTTV Player, not the BT Sport player, which still needs Microsoft Silverlight. Shame there isn't a Windows 10 app available, it would solve a lot of issues.

0 Ratings
Dazroberts
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Correct its the bttv player that doesn't work and after the updates to the browsers there is no way to make it work. Its not just bt either there a lot of sites out there that are not up to date.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

See

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Problems-with-add-ons-plugins-or/Why-do-Java-Silverlight-Adobe-Acroba...

And consider whether the Extended Support Release is suitable for you

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

If you have Microsoft Edge then you should have option to open  webpage in Internet Explorer which should enable you to continue using the player.

0 Ratings