cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikel555
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

BT Openreach Engineering Dept are totally incompetent

I live in a rural area in South Devon and our local exchange is Loddiswell. The lines to my house and about 12 others have to go about 3 miles and there has been a real problem as the lines are old, patched together, fouled by tree branches and it is no wonder our broadband is slow and constantly dropping connections. There is also an inadequate number of lines so whenever someone wants a new line, more often than not someone else gets cut off.

The last time a new broadband connection was installed a couple of months ago the engineers had to work for three days with a cherry picker, as they refused to climb the poles because they are so rotten. The main guy was very helpful and I insisted he came and checked before he left each day that he hadn't cut anyone off. He admitted the cabling was a complete mess but BT would not pay for complete new lines to be installed so he had to do his best.

Recently my broadband has been worse than ever, so last Friday 20 Sep I steeled myself and rang to report the fault. As always a very nice but somewhat incomprehensible Asian lady checked the line and agreed it was faulty. I had to call again on Sunday as there had been no improvement and spent some 30+ mins talking to another guy and then his manager as the soonest they could book an engineers appointment was Thursday 25 Sep. Appointment was for 1pm to 6pm yesterday and I waited at home all afternoon - guess what no one turned up. 

When I called at 5.15pm I was eventually told that the engineers had not been able to keep the appointment "due to lack of resources". To add insult to injury I was offered a £10 credit for the missed appointment, i.e. for 5 wasted hours I would get £2 an hour. Then instead of being able to confirm that engineers would come today, the guy had to book another fresh appointment and the soonest was (I think) next Tuesday. I was so furious that I don't think I even wrote down the day or time or can't find it now.

In the meantime, I have to reboot the Homehub 40+ times a day and suffer ridiculous slow speeds trying to do a lot of work.

I despair and if any Mod can help I would be eternally grateful.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Openreach Engineering Dept are totally incompetent

Continually rebooting the home hub will cause your speed to drop.

See

Why has my speed dropped

If you could post your ADSL Statistics  someone should be able to give you more advise.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
mikel555
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

So three months later, my broadband continues to have problems with drop outs.

Numerous engineers have visited and several appointments have either been cancelled or never materialised. My case has been referred to "Level 2" several times. The only thorough engineer who has visited was on loan from BT Openreach in Wales and travelled from near Cardiff to South Devon to work on my problem.

He correctly identified a problem with two sections of the line from the exchange in Lodiswell which had been patched numerous times and joints were corroded...no wonder I and my neighbours have constant drop outs. It was supposedly booked in for replacement by engineers with a cherry picker. Despite promises, I have never heard that these lines have been replaced and I suspect nothing has happened.

On 9 Dec I called support again after constant drop outs and eventually had an appointment for an engineers visit today. I waited in for the appointment between 1pm and 6pm and guess what - no engineer. When I called to find out what happened, after four call backs I was told the appointment had again not been kept due to "lack of resources".

Instead of getting a new appointment the next day, the earliest next appointment I was offerred was a week's time on 27 Dec.

What a farce ! I have been charged for several months broadband that has been unuseable. Each time an appointment is missed all BT offer is £10 compensation i.e. £2 an hour for waiting in for 5 hours.

I will be cancelling my BT account and demanding a refund of all broadband charges and will have to install satellite broadband as BT are incapable of servicing rural areas.

Yours, totally disatisfied of Devon

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 5 of 15

Hi mikel555,

Thanks for posting. I can take a look into this for you. Drop me an email with your details. You’ll get the ‘contact us’ link in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Andy787878
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Also living in a rural area I can totally relate to this. We've had something like seven line faults in just over two years, usually the dreaded crackly phone line. The last engineer even admitted to the network being "really bad in this area". Most weeks an openreach van can be spotted somewhere around the village, no doubt patching up the antique copper wiring. The bt group seem to have absolutely zero interest in providing a long lasting reliable service to us rural folks. It would be something if they'd look after their old network and replace the old degrading copper wires with new, but the only thing they seem interested in doing is replicating virgin medias fibre network in the surrounding towns, offering infinity to people who can already get high speed connections.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Openreach provide and maintain the network for all service providers including BT retail your provider under OFCOM rules BT get no preferential treatment.
Also it is untrue that all users in larger towns get faster speeds there are many who get sub 2mb as speed is relative to line length from the exchange
0 Ratings
Andy787878
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Where have I said all users in towns get faster speeds? I've only commented on towns that are local to myself where virgin fibre is and has been available (under different companies) for many years and now this has been replicated by BTOR. I'm well aware that BTOR maintain the network for all service providers. However I'm fully of the view that any BTOR investment in infrastructure is solely done in areas to provide the best return for BT retail. I also find it somewhat odd that openreach like to play the "oh we're not part of BT and run as a separate company" card but as soon as the fibre cabinets come online a great big sticker advertising super fast broadband is stuck on the front of them with a nice prominent BT logo and the openreach vans in the area are also starting to be rebranded, also advertising super fast broadband. So if openreach are only responsible for maintaining the network why are they advertising super fast broadband, isn't that the job of BT retail and other isp's????
0 Ratings
mikel555
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

BT are really excelling themselves again. After the no-show of an engineer booked for a week ago and me speaking to a manager in. Level 2, I was supposedly booked in for another engineer to visit today between 8am and 1pm. Previously when engineers have been booked I have had emails and texts for several days before, but this time no emails or texts.

So I checked on the fault tracking on BT.com and fault logged twice but in progress section it just says checks being made at Retail service and no engineer booking logged. So I call BT and for once get to speak to someone fairly quickly. He goes off to check with engineers and sure enough they have no resources but someone will call me within 24 hours.

We have had very strong winds here and a tree did fall on the lines between here and the exchange so no doubt they are very busy. However, once again I could have waited in all morning for nothing as no one had rung to say the appointment today would not be kept.

Despite leaving my contact details as suggested by. DavidM mod above I have heard nothing. I realise Christmas has meant everyone is otherwise occupied so am not expecting miracles, but every day that I continue to be charged for a service that is not provided is money in BTs coffers...not mine.

I am trying to start up a business and have to have broadband that works. It infuriates me when I keep reading how BT are committed to providing rural businesses with a service...and they are clearly incapable of doing so.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

When you say "I am trying to start up a business and have to have broadband that works", then you have the wrong type of account, you should have a BT Business account, as you are not allowed to use a residential account for business use.

A BT Business account would give you a priority repair service and a guaranteed SLA, and the ability to claim compensation for lost business if you can prove it.

0 Ratings