cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

BT Openreach, Totally Incompetent & Unprofessional

I had Infinity installed on 29th June and I have had nothing but problems with it, well I say with it when I really me I have problems with BT Openreach.

My speed fluctuates between .9mbps and 63mbps, BT told me that there was a problem on my line and arranged for an engineer to call on 14th July between 8am and 1pm, he failed to turn up or phone to explain why he hadn't come, BT told me that he would be with me by 6pm, again a no show, I phoned BT again and they promised that he would come the following Wednesday between 8am and 1pm, another no show and so BT made another appointment for today, 28th July between 1pm and 6pm, they have just phoned to say that they are not coming as they don't have an engineer available, BT Retail are as angry about this as I am and have instructed to come on Tuesday between 8am and 1pm and with no excuses, BT Retail have also raised the problem with Openreach management, I await their reaction with bated breath.........Not! BT openreach suck big time and I don't have any faith in them turning up on Tuesday, if they don't come then I shall terminate my contract with BT.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Openreach, Totally Incompetent & Unprofessional

To clarify it is Openreach - no BT - as it is a separate entity who deals with all ISPs direct.  BT do not have direct control over the staff - they can only make arrangements/appointments and are powerless if Openreach do not provide the service.  It could well be the case that if you had signed up with another ISP they would be having exactly the same problems.

This is why BT Retail are as angry as you - it isn't a BT fault. The Openreach management response may be interesting.

Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 16

This is why BT Retail are as angry as you - it isn't a BT fault. The Openreach management response may be interesting.

Minor correction: This is why BT Retail are as angry as you - it isn't a BT Retail fault. The BT Openreach management response may be interesting.

Unfortunately, BT Openreach do not have any competition.  They behave pretty much like the GPO used to, except that they now have shareholders to obey as well as customers to ignore.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

Thank you Conrad for that insight, I don't actually blame BT Retail, it is purely the fault of my local Openreach office and I have been in contact with the regional office in Ipswich in the hope that they can kick some butt and make sure that the "Engineer" keeps his appointment on Tuesday morning.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

National telecoms infrastructure is a very difficult utility to make open to competition, it all stems from when the Thatcher government sold off BT in the 80s, it should have been broken up into regions at the time and different companies formed in each region, only later would companies operating in their own regions would have been able to make takeover bids against companies in other regions, the chances of one company successfully buying up all of the regional companies and forming an monopoly such as BT would have been nonexistent but as we all know, this never happened and BT now enjoy an industry in which they have an almost 100% monopoly with only companies such as Kingston Telecom in the Hull area putting up any form of competition whatsoever.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

In addition to my earlier posts I would just like to make it crystal clear that I understand that BT Retail are not at fault and that the problem lies wholey at the feet of BT Openreach. BT Retail have been very good in dealing with this matter even though on one occasion I did let them have a taste of my wrath, totally unjustified I know but under the circumstances I was not prepared to give that thought any consideration whereas now I have full control and will save my anger for BT Openreach should I ever have to or get to speak with them regarding this failure in performance.

As it is, I have it on authority from BT Retail that an engineer WILL be attending my property on Tuesday 31/07, I hope for BT Openreach's sake that he turns up otherwise I feel that the regulating authority will have to become involved.

One thing I have done is informed BT that in light of the fact that if I had failed to be home and the engineer had called, I would have a charge imposed for a missed appointment, this being the case I have imposed a charge against BT for each appointment missed, 3 in total so far at a charge rate equivalent to 1 month's service charge which stands at £26.00 per month, three appointments missed, 3 charges, £78.00 so far, I wonder if BT will try to avoid paying it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 16

Ha! Good one.
I don't agree that BT retail are entirely blameless.
We don't care who installs on behalf of the company do we?
As long as it's done properly.
BT must take responsibility for the people they contact out to.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

meister268,

spot on. Openreach is still part of 'BT group of companies'. People coming to houses are not engineers, they are technicians, from my experience not very good ones. Not showing up is modus operandi for Openreach. As is charging you 

service that you are not receiving by BT. 

Pope.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 9 of 16

I don't agree that BT retail are entirely blameless.  I sort of agree.  Contractors should not be able to hide behind subcontractors failings.  However, BT retail are in an awkward position, as BT Openreach are a monopoly BT Retail don't have any option about who they contract out to.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

@Mesiter 268:

Telecoms is a natural monopoly, turning a national company into smaller regional ones will make no difference. They will jst be a monopoly in their own back yard, the best company will buy out the worst until you yet again end up with one large monopoly.

The only way to combat this is massive regulation and then what was the point of splitting the companies in the 1st place? You might as well have kept the company publicly owned and at least then profits wouldn't be being siphoned off to shareholders (who are guarenteed a profit by us tax/billpayers).

The government's excuse will be that private companies will invest their money. All this is is a disguise, it keeps the borrowing off the books of the government, after all, we will be obliged to pay for this infrastructure at some point in the future. Thus instead of our government borrowing at 0.5%, investing the money and us having a stake in the project a private company will borrow at 2,3,4 or 5% and be guaranteed to be bailed out if they fail.

This is the game, this is what we've been suckered into for the last 30 years and look at our country:

Our trains are among the least puntual and most expensive in the EU,

Our telecoms infrastructure is 10 years behind Germany,

Our electricity is among the most expensive in the EU and price increases happen faster here than anywhere else in Europe (despite the fact we had North Sea oil to tap for decades - now in 20% decline every year) and is owned by foreign companies who exercise huge influence over our government and take our money for energy as profits.