Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoff765
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT Openreach to HH5

Hi,

I am on Fibre to the Premise fibre optic link and I have a BT Openreach modem in the hall. The Home Hub 5 is connected to Port 1. I would like to move the HH5 to another room. Could I use a BT Flex extender in the hall to link from the BT Openreach Port 1 via mains cable to an extender in the other room with the HH5?

In the past, I would just have plugged the splitter into an adjacent telephone outlet in the other room, but with the BT Openreach modem the telephone and broadband signals split at the BT Openreach modem. Hence, the problem of getting the broadband signal to the other room.

Any comments?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Openreach to HH5

You could, but you might find that the speed is not that great, the speeds quoted are often optimistic. Normally this wouldn't be the governing factor, but with high speed FTTP it could be. The ideal option would be to run a CAT6 ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Geoff765
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

That would be a better solution. Unfortunately, I think my wife might object! As for speed, with the HH5 in the hall, the wireless link drops speeds to 3-4Mbps. The sppeds through the Flex extender are quoted as upto 500Mbps; is htis optimistic?

I note that the BT Openreach modem port 1 cable goes into the HH5 WAN socket. Does this factor into the consideration?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@Geoff765 wrote:

That would be a better solution. Unfortunately, I think my wife might object! As for speed, with the HH5 in the hall, the wireless link drops speeds to 3-4Mbps. The sppeds through the Flex extender are quoted as upto 500Mbps; is htis optimistic? Yes, but it will depend on the quality of your mains wiring and any induced noise. It will certainly be better than wireless.

I note that the BT Openreach modem port 1 cable goes into the HH5 WAN socket. Does this factor into the consideration? Not really, it's still Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Geoff765
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Oops. Correction. Its not a BT Openreach modem, it is a BT Openrach Optical network box. It does not connect to the Broadband DSL port on the HH%. It connects to the Broadband WAN.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@Geoff765 wrote:

Oops. Correction. Its not a BT Openreach modem, it is a BT Openrach Optical network box. It does not connect to the Broadband DSL port on the HH%. It connects to the Broadband WAN.

Yes, guessed that. Smiley Happy It's still Ethernet.

0 Ratings