Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Openzone - DNS error

Hi,

We have Openzone on our package but are unable to get it to work

Openzone will appear on wireless networks but when connected web pages will not load, after running a diagnostic it says windows cannot communicate with primary DNS server

The connection properties are set to locate IP & DNS addresses automatically

The home wifi works fine using the Hub and the same laptop

I’m unsure what to do, does anyone know how to connect to BT Openzone

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Openzone - DNS error

The BTOpenzone helpdesk, 0800 022 3322, the helpdesk is open 24/7 365 days/year and only deals with enquiries relating to BTOpenzone and BTFon hotspot access.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

The helpdesk were able to confirm Openzone is on our account and could not see anything wrong with the laptop settings

Because i rang from home they want to re-set some firmware on my home hub - as this was where i was picking up Openzone signal from.

I will have to try and find a wi-fi hotspot to test again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Sometimes the home hub can cause Openzone to fail, but a restart normally fixes it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I had the same problem.

The answer from BTOpenzone helpdesk was (paraphrase):

"Openzone/FON works with public/major hotspots such as Starbucks. It is unlikely to work with FON running on someone's Home Hub."

So BT's claim That's why we're the only broadband company in the UK to give you free, unlimited wi-fi at more than 3.5 million hotspots in the UK is completely misleading.

And BT knows it is misleading.

The number of Openzone/FON problems posted on this forum and still unresolved is an indication of this. As the availability of free WiFi out and about was one of the major reasons I switched to BT Total Broadband, I feel totally conned.

In fact, I have complained to the Advertising standards Authority. I advise anyone else who feels similarly aggrieved to complain also.

0 Ratings