Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT Openzone connection to Samsung TV

@harryg wrote:

Hi Keith. Thanks, your link explains well. The TV is UE32D5520.

I like the bridge idea and will try it using my HTC smart phone. I am having difficulty with the usage at 10Gb which has never been a problem but in last 2 months seems to be being reported as high. Resorted to checking every day to discover that BT are not updating and see the occasional large jump in GBs.

Hi again.

Just for info, your TV sounds similar to mine. Although it's internet based, it's not fully internet and uses a system to login to various services. The way I do it is use a 4 port switch connected to my powerline adaptor which is used foir BTVision. I can then use the TV "apps", but hardly do as the iPlayer on the BTVision is better.

A USB wireless dongle can be supplied, but only sold by Samsung at a high cost - so that would be the route to use BTFon if that was the case.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Hi Andy.

To connect the TV by WiFi you can only do this with the Samsung USB stick as the drivers are contained in the Linex O/S of the TV. The best place to get one is on Ebay and not the £50 retail.

However BTOpenzone or Fon will not connect as you have to have a web page to enter UN and PW and as yet I have not found a browser app on the TV.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 21

@harryg wrote:

However BTOpenzone or Fon will not connect as you have to have a web page to enter UN and PW and as yet I have not found a browser app on the TV.

Everything is handled at the remote end, your TV is simply being used to display remote content, once contact has been established with the company`s server.It just a "thin client" in effect.

That is how they make it "future proof"

In a way, its similar to the BT Vision box, except it has its own tuner, so you do not need to be connected all of the time.

No direct Internet, no content.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Hi Keith.

All of the apps are dowloadable and are retained in memory only streamed data is pulled in from the servers. This is no different to an Android phone. The apps run inside an inbuilt browser in the O/S. You can see the memory consumed to hold the apps from the settings. It also appears that most other smart TV provide a user browser but for some reason Samsung do not.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

samsung do provide a web browser as I have a web browser icon on my samsung smart tv ud7000.  it works fine and I can use it like any other browser

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 21

Hi CL. Can you tell me the name and under which section the browser is listed please. Thanks G.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

It's called 'web browser' and was part of my original icons.  when opened it opens with msn homepage and bing

I know it appears to have vanished from the available icons as my son has a new samsung but different model and he cannot find/get the browser

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 21

@imjolly wrote:

It's called 'web browser' and was part of my original icons.  when opened it opens with msn homepage and bing

I know it appears to have vanished from the available icons as my son has a new samsung but different model and he cannot find/get the browser

There are many different Samsung TV's, and I think it's only the "Smart" type that have the browser facility. The other ones, e.g. like mine, can only do the dedicated Apps which can be downloaded and installed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 21

@Andy_N wrote:

@imjolly wrote:

There are many different Samsung TV's, and I think it's only the "Smart" type that have the browser facility. The other ones, e.g. like mine, can only do the dedicated Apps which can be downloaded and installed.

My son's samsung is a smart tv (different model to mine but more recent) but does not have the web drowser facility nor is it available in the apps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 20 of 21

Hi, New here, and just setting up my Samsung SmartTV and having this very issue, where there is no input space for Username only for Password.  Anything I can try?

0 Ratings