cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

BT Order cancelled on Activation Date

I'm thinking I made a mistake signing up with BT... all fine until you have to speak to support!

I signed up with BT in February and the activation date was today (17th), with my Virgin broadband being disconnected tomorrow.

I received my hub this week. When setting it up I found that my expected master socket wasn't actually a master socket at all..  I phoned BT and they arranged an engineer to visit on Monday (20th).

I since found a master socket elsewhere in the house, this is live and the phone line was working.    I then used the Live Chat to cancel the engineer visit next Monday which the assistant did for me....

A few minutes later, I get emails about my whole broadband order being cancelled and I need to return my home hub!!

I phoned BT up immediately,  but was told they could not revert the cancellation.  I was then told that I need to order again online, that's where the best offers are (I don't care about the current offers, I want my February order reinstated). Once I've ordered, they can see what they can do but no guarantee of anything....

So I made a new order online, all the same options but it's now more expensive.  I phone back up... I have to wait 24 hours before they can do anything, and then another 24 hours after that before seeing when any activation can be made.

I think this could be a sign of things to come. I needed activation today as I provide 24 hour weekend remote support.

I am strongly considering cancelling everything with BT and staying with Virgin.   I don't quite understand why they can't "cancel" their cancellation and carry on as planned - there will have been an engineer scheduled to activate my broadband at the exchange today anyway!   I doubt I'll get anything back for all this chasing around either.

All in all, very annoyed and disappointed.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Order cancelled on Activation Date

@Chicharito14 wrote:

I think this could be a sign of things to come. I needed activation today as I provide 24 hour weekend remote support.

Is this a business or residential line?

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Hi

It's just a residential line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Did you order normal broadband, or BT Infinity?

Is your BT Retail phone line working yet?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

It was unlimited BT Infinity 1.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 17

Hi @Chicharito14 and welcome.

I'm really sorry there's been such a mix up with the orders. I'll be happy to take a look at this for you. Can you please send over your details? Youi'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

The phone line was active earlier today, but I'm  not getting any dialing tone now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

@Chicharito14 wrote:

The phone line was active earlier today, but I'm  not getting any dialing tone now.

That could mean that there is an Openreach Field Engineer working in the cabinet, connecting your line via the fibre cabinet (assuming its BT Infinity you have ordered)

If its normal broadband, then work will be going on in the exchange,

Keep your fingers crossed Smiley Wink

You can contact @DavidM as well, just in case things do not go to plan.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Yep fingers crossed!

I do wish I'd found the relocated master-socket earlier before arranging an appointment haha!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

No phone line signals and no engineer at the cabinet so far unfortunately, so I think I'm out of luck!

I was told on the phone that BT wouldn't be able to try for sorting a new activation date until Sunday, which is now set for April 5th so I may just have to jump back to Virgin before it finally cuts off.

Funnily enough, a colleague was just telling me they've had the same problem before where there order was cancelled by mistake on the activation date. 

I do worry that this will create some sort of complicated billing mess if gets sorted.

0 Ratings