Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrdryan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 68

BT Parental Controls not working

Go to solution

I've tried to resolve this by phone twice now and spent over 3 hours on the phone without getting to anyone who can help or the department always seems to be busy so I'm now resorting to you to see if you can advise on this issue.

Basically, I, on behalf of my dad who is the account owner activated BT Parental Controls in the My Extras section of the My BT website approximately 4 weeks ago. Since then the settings which allow control of this have been stuck on the following message:

"Parental Controls is being activated on your account and will be available in the next 24 hours. Please log in again later to manage your account." [my bolding added]

A screenshot of this issue is available here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8721652/problem.jpg

For the first 3 or so weeks after activating it the internet connection was filtered according to the Light Filtering Profile even though the message above continued to display and I couldn't access the settings. However, in the last week or so (not really sure as I haven't been checking it much) it seems that our connection is now completely unfiltered again!

It seems like something has got messed up on my account during the registration process for BT Parental Controls and it now seems stuck there. Please can you help us to solve this?

Additional problem:

I used to use OpenDNS content filtering with a non-BT router which was broken in the power cuts we had over Christmas so I have had to resort to a BT Hub 3 which seems stuck on an old version of firmware, and has frozen several times and needed resetting. I'm also finding the Wi-Fi signal strength to be very low and my smartphone seems to be constantly losing the Wi-Fi signal when it was fine with my previous router. Is there any was to get the latest BT Hub to see if that helps or at least a firmware update or something?

0 Ratings
67 REPLIES 67
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 68

Re: BT Parental Controls not working

Go to solution

The moderators have been informed of your problem with regards to the Parental controls. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this post.

With regards to the HH3, have you tried a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds.

If the software needs updated, you will need to leave it switched on 24/7. Updates are pushed by BT and can take a while, weeks, for them to happen after the Homehub is switched on.

If it is faulty and you are within a contract you may be able to have it replaced under warranty. If you are out of contract you will need to pay for a new one.

0 Ratings
ChristopherP
Moderator-Retired
Message 3 of 68

Go to solution
Hi mrdryan,

If you fill out the contact us form located in the about me section of my profile we can take a look at this for you.
cheers,
Chris
BT Mod Team.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

mrdryan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 68

Go to solution
Thanks. I'll do that.
0 Ratings
CraigS
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 68

Go to solution

Hi All,

We managed to trace this back to a problem within our own systems.  I had a word with the team overseeing these and we made an adjustment that sorted everything out.

Cheers

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
mrdryan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 68

Go to solution
Yep all sorted.

Thanks again!
0 Ratings
benhawthorne
Beginner
Message 7 of 68

Go to solution

I have the same problem. Switched to BT in March 14 and the tab in parental control has been missing ever since. I have raised this issue twice with tech support but not resolved.

Now it seems that someone has activated parental controls which has stopped my wife accessing facebook and twitter (She is NOT happy!!).

I have tried to circumnavigate this by typing in dodgy sites and waiting for the warning but when i log in i am told i do not have permissions to change controls.

Wish i had never changed to BT -

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 8 of 68

Go to solution

Hi Benhawthorne,

Welcome to the community forum. I'll be able to help you set up the Parental Controls. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

mextor2k
Beginner
Message 9 of 68

Go to solution

got the same problem here, i have spoken with customer care on the phone but no help what so even just got told someone would contact me which they haven't.

0 Ratings
jmac80
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 68

Go to solution

I have the exact same problem, been on the phone for hours, can you confirm someone will also fix it for me, driving me mad!

Thanks

0 Ratings