cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Parental controls and BT DNS - sort it please BT

Without permission and without even asking me BT appear to have slapped parental controls on my account. Yesterday nothing worked for me as every web page I requested returned a BT message "You are seeing this page because you are using a BT service which requires the use of BT DNS Servers and it appears that you are attempting to connect using a DNS server outside of our network."

I dont want to use BT DNS, I have a perfectly good one of my own but as a temporary measure to get this hinderence switched off through My Account I changed to 31.55.185.26

In my account Parental Controls and Net Protect are switched off but still nothing works unless I use a BT DNS after which most things work by incredibly not google.co.uk which appears to be blocked by BT and returns the "You are seeing this page..." nonsense.

Calling BT tech support is a useless as usual - "What colour is the hub light?" .....

Anyone any ideas?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Parental controls and BT DNS - sort it please BT

You need to actually uninstall them via the parental conrols page, just turning them off stil prevents 3rd party DNS.

When you have uninstalled them, wait a couple of hours, then restart the home hub to get a new public IP address. You will also need to flush the DNS resolver cache on any devices.

On a Windows machine use the following command.

ipconfig /flushdns.

The automatic implementation of parental controls, was a government recommendation, and most ISPs now use them.

BT Protect also prevents other DNS servers being used.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Keith, I hadn't realised that the email I received last night "You've switched off your BT Parental Controls" didnt actually mean that I had! I have now had "You've deleted your BT Parental Controls" this will do the trick you think?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Interestingly it blocks http://www.google.co.uk but not https://www.google.co.uk

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi All,

I've just started to suffer with this problem on my daughters computer seeing the message "You are seeing this page because etc". The problem does not occur on any other PC, tablet or phone. The setting for TCP/IPv4 are to obtain addresses automatically (as for otherPC's). If I delete Parental Controls in MyBT then the problem goes away, but I do want to have them turned on as  I have 3 daugthers so I want them all to be protected.

Any clues as to what could be different on the one computer that suffers from the problem? Could it be a virus - although I've done a complete scan with MacAfee and no problems were detected.

The only suspicious thing was that I thought I saw a reference to trovit once as Chrome was opening, but I cannot see it listed in the Chrome Extensions.

Thanks, Mike

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

Hi Mike,

I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please can you send me in your BT details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@MikeAmb

It almost certain that is some form of addon running on the affected computer, or a trojan program.

Perhaps your daughter has installed software to try and bypass the controls?

It could be something that uses its own DNS settings, or is hijacking your DNS settings, which is not a good idea.

Have you tried a different web browser like Firefox, as I do know Chrome sometimes tries to use Google public DNS, which would cause the problem you describe.

I would be very wary of anything on your computer which is redirecting DNS requests, as you could be re-directed to fake websites.

The whole idea behind BT Protect, is to intercept these redirects, and give you the warning message.

Its not going to be a BT issue, so I doubt that BT could help, as its only affecting one device.

Software like Trusteer Rapport, uses alternative DNS servers, and will give problems unless some changes are made to its settings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks all for the comments. Cleaned the computer of add Ware and ran a malware scan which fixed the problem.
0 Ratings