cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheGodSplinter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT Phone Fault Reported 21st June - Now 24th June...

Hi...

So, the fault should be fixed by 1700 hours, today, according to the "aim" of BT's OpenReach engineers.

But, what about that downtime?  What about the money I've had to spend on mobile phone usage while BT's equipment was preventing me from enjoying the free calls component of the package that I am paying BT to receive? Yes, there may be an incoming provision that redirects incoming house phone calls to my mobile at no charge, but...I need to make outgoing calls, also - what about those?

Who will reimburse me for those mobile calls? 

They came to around £9+, just on the day of the reporting of the fault to BT.

Fault Number: VOL011-***********

Ian.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Phone Fault Reported 21st June - Now 24th June...

Hi and welcome to the forum.

BTs commitment is to have the fault repaired by the end of the 3rd working day however, if they miss that timing they will reimburse your line and equipment rental from that point on a daily basis until the fault is repaired.

I think currently line rental works out at around 50p a day.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
TheGodSplinter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Thanks...

What statistics exist regarding BT's missing of that timing?

How trustworthy should I assume BT is in keeping to that 3 days timetable?

Also...

I'm assured, by the fault tracking feature on the BT.com web site, that I'll be kept informed about the process, by text messages.  I've received only one! That was last Tuesday!  It helpfully informed me about what I already knew - that I'd just reported the fault.  I'm so grateful for that text - otherwise, I may never have noticed that I had just hung up after reporting the fault!  Nothing, since!

It would be nice to hear from a human being, now and then, about this, such as an engineer who has just started on the problem particularly concerning this house's phone.  Three days of radio silence is not very encouraging and mobile phone usage is expensive.

It would be nice to consistently talk to people whose accents are not bent out of shape by foreign tongueing and who actually work in the UK.

It's not as if I could quickly phone somebody on their home phone number and say, "Hey! Can you phone me back on my own home phone number? Your call will automatically be redirected to my mobile and there'll be no charge," so that I can at least have a conversation with somebody.  If I do that, I could easily be on the mobile phone when I'm due to get my call to it, from the engineer, for an update of some form, even if that would mean that they've not fixed the problem, yet, on the home's phone line.

Your word "commitment" is the only thing that has impressed me, so far, during this - is there a written part of some BT Customers' Charter that shows the details of this commitment, so that I, too, may read it, in place?

Ian.

0 Ratings
Antics
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Hi Ian,

If you would like an update then ring 0800 800 151, ask the advisor to call you back with an update on the issues that you are having. Also, you wouldn't be able to speak to an Openreach engineer as I believe they are a non-customer facing customer.

I'd think you'd be more than ok to claim back any usage used on your mobile back as compensation.

Thanks

0 Ratings
TheGodSplinter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Hi...

Thanks for that.

Since my last post, I've had two phone conversations with Indian guys, in, erm...India!

Granted, I was phoned back on my mobile by the first guy and was phoned by the second, so that part cannot be complained about.

Now, they were able to find out that some "pole" had been "smashed", somewhere, and it seems, now, that it'll be Tuesday at around 1600 hours before the Indian guy I spoke to the second time will be checking to see how it goes with my reported fault and will phone me again - so, as I expected, and assuming that any of that was true or even remotely accurate, this is precisely the sort of thing that makes the "commitment" part of BT an utter farce!  A damaged/smashed telephone pole should be fixed during weekend hours - it's time for BT to shake a leg for such incidents!  I could've been told about the smashed...whatever...back on Tuesday, when I initially reported the fault.

Also...

When I phoned 0800 800 151, earlier, as happened a couple of days ago, I was told that it's better, given that I'm on a mobile, to ring 0330 1234 151 and that's how I ended up speaking to India (and is when the first Indian guy phoned me back, which was very good of him).

BT get their money.  Customers get left out of the loop.  There would've been no harm in somebody, somewhere in the BT tanglenet, simply texting me with an update - which updates I was told that I would get - and telling me about this doubtable smashed pole.  At least, I'd have some reason to feel a smattering of respect for their truth-telling, instead of having this bitterness within me that another bloated Corporation has laughed at how small individual customers are, and how insignificant their feelings will always be!

Ian.

0 Ratings
cotswoldconnection
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Just out of curiosity is the telephone cable going to your property fed by a pole or does it enter the property from underground?

0 Ratings
TheGodSplinter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

It's a pole.  I can see it from a house window.  They certainly couldn't be referring to that one because there is nothing wrong with it.  Being housebound, I can't get any closer to it, to check.

I'm angry that I had to hear it from a guy in India (presuming that it's true at all, anyway) instead of just being told about it in a text message.  And, y'know, in between glitches like this one, BT's service is spectacularly reliable - it's a shame that they let people down RIGHT WHEN THEY NEED BT TO DO SOMETHING DECISIVE!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

I think the text message up dates are only when the job is issued to an engineer or when the job is cleared and then they are generated by the computer systems. I dont think that you will get personalised messages.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
TheGodSplinter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Along the front of this estate, the pathways are already wired up, ready for cable.  If I get much more trouble about this fault from this disgrace of a Corporation, I'll be jumping to Virgin for phone and Broadband.  I've heard some staggeringly good reviews about Virgin from friends, family and neighbours and other people, online.  That's good enough for me. 

BT just can't keep up with people, any longer, and, thankfully, nobody has to stay with them and be let down like this.

As a joke, BT aren't even any longer funny...they're just a tragedy.  To find out that a telephone pole in my area had been smashed, some guy in India had to find out for me.  When it gets that bad, people leave, and I just can't wait!

0 Ratings
TheGodSplinter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Okay...

The heavy machinery came to a road very close to my home.  They took away the old pole and replaced it with a brand new one.  This, remember, is still only 24 hours after they had set for the repair deadline and that is still a reasonable waiting time beyond the originally set point.  The actual rate of work was seriously impressive.  The full comb of wires was up, clamped and connected in less than 90 minutes.  I had a dial tone (albeit a weird, alternating one) after that.  I tried making a call and it worked.  But, the alternating/intermittent dial tone problem still worried me.  I wanted it fixing while the engineers were still around. 

Then, I used Google to find out that it was the call diverting service that was causing it.  I phoned "#21#" as advised in the Google result, and BINGO...everything was back to normal.

Ian.

0 Ratings