cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 11

BT Privacy with Caller Display - 12 months Free?

OK BT. You got me baffled on this.

When BT introduced a charge for BT Privacy with caller display starting from Jan 2014, BT offered to give this free if you signed up for line rental for 12 months. The sign up was in December but was effctive from Jan 2nd, i.e. the introduction of the charge.

E-mail confirmation says:

Hello,

Thanks for registering to get BT Privacy with Caller Display free for 12 months.

We've processed your order and you'll get it free from 2 January 2014.

As part of this offer, a new 12-month line rental contract will also apply from this date.

I then on the 7 December 2014 received a reminder that the free BT Privacy with Caller Display was ending soon.

At the moment, you've got BT Privacy with Caller Display on a free offer for 12 months. The offer is ending soon and you'll then start paying the usual £1.75 a month to keep the service. But don't worry, you can still get it for free. Read on to find out how.

I duly renewed as instructed.

I have now received my December bill

Discount Caller Display 

7 Dec - 17 Dec 14 

You get your Phone Line at a special rate. We show this on your bill by                              -£0.58
giving you a refund of £1.75 a month

Discount Caller Display

7 Dec - 17 Dec 14

We gave you a special offer discount on the full price of the product. We
have adjusted the discount because it has either ended or changed.                                    £0.64

So what baffles me is that when BT introduced the charge I registered to receive 12 months free from Jan 2014 - so in my mind why are BT charging me from the 7 December 2014? That's not 12 months? I renewed for a further 12 months on receipt of the email. If I had left it thinking I had until the end of December, I would have been charged for all of December?

Stew

10 REPLIES 10
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Privacy with Caller Display - 12 months Free?

My December bill looks similar to yours Stew.

I will not be Querying it as I don't want the hassle of not being understood, hopefully it will come out in the wash on my January bill.

I was told when I renewed my contract in July that free caller display for a year was included therefore didn't renew it when I received the first Email (link wasn't clickable anyway) had a reminder Email yesterday so have now renewed free caller display... you live and learn with BT.

StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 11

Hi Patty-L, yes you certainly live and learn with BT!
While the 6p out of pocket is not worth the hassle, I am just mystified as to how BT have come to the conclusion they have!
Perhaps if you make things over complicated then things can go wrong!

Stew
0 Ratings
C1Rider
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

Any contract you enter into with BT can be changed by BT at any time during the duration of the contract, the contract is only binding on the customer.  Most likely the first figure includes vat and the second one doesn't and the vat will appear on your next bill..

As an aside, when I renewed in July an additional telephone number appeared on my bill along with a charge for caller display; I have had some credits but each month, despite being told that the charge will cease, it still appears on my bill and I have to phone to get it cancelled; my credit notes show a similar difference to yours..

Cheers..

0 Ratings
davidmridge61
Expert
Message 5 of 11

Same with me with my December monthly bill. I was 15p out of pocket but could not be bothered to ring up and query,
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

Like Patty-L I recontracted in June for 12 months. However my bill is different and surprisingly for BT rather clear I have LRS as well

bill part Dec 14.PNG

0 Ratings
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

This is how mine appears.

Discount Caller Display

8 Dec - 17 Dec 14

You get your Phone Line at a special rate. We show this on your bill by
giving you a refund of £1.75 a month                                                     -£0.58

Line Rental

1 Dec - 17 Dec 14                                                                                 £0.00

Line Rental

1 Dec - 17 Dec 14                                                                                 £0.00

Line Rental

18 Dec - 17 Jan 15                                                                                £0.00

Discount Caller Display

7 Dec - 17 Dec 14

We gave you a special offer discount on the full price of the product. We
have adjusted the discount because it has either ended or changed.               £0.64

BT Privacy with Caller Display free for 12 months

18 Dec - 17 Jan 15                                                                                £0.00

Stew

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

Isn't the 6p one day's Caller Display @ £1.75 per month.

My guess is that your re-order immediately killed the existing discount so you got charged 64p for 7 Dec to 17 Dec, took 24 hours to get processed and become active, and then gave you a new discount for 58p from 8 Dec to 17 Dec. So you ended up paying 6p for the 7 Dec. 

Of course you weren't expecting it to take effect until Jan!

Like others my line rental with LRS also has two entries for 1 Dec up to my billing date. One to refund the £0.00 I didn't pay in advance on my previous bill, and another to charge me at the new rate I don't pay of £0.00. It then has the third entry for the £0.00 I don't pay for the rest of the billing month. A bit crazy but I can understand the logic of the computer system. Smiley LOL

StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

Thanks Ump. I perhaps can now understand the computer logic, but I don't think I will ever understand BT logic! Smiley Very Happy

Stew

0 Ratings
clothtabs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

The BT logic is quite straightforward. They will never under charge you. BT will benefit from any small error. They will charge you in advance for as much as they can. By default, BT is always right.
The software has been specially designed to implement this.
0 Ratings