Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jazzguy
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 35

Re: BT Read This - Its not your SmartHub its your Firmware

@MorgaineD

There is the added complication that not all HH6s are being wrecked by firmware changes.

MorgaineD
Expert
Message 12 of 35

@jazzguy: Indeed, which makes it even clearer that one shoe does not fit all. Everyone should have the option to flash the BT firmware that works for their needs, and make it stick by disabling automated firmware upgrades.

In particular I sympathize with those who received a HH6 in the post to resolve a problem which they reported, and were delighted to find that it was indeed fixed ... only to suffer the same wrecking by BT again on the next update.  This is very bad for BT's reputation, and completely unecessary.

Let people use the firmware that works for them.  Everybody benefits.

0 Ratings
varkanoid
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 35

I left my HH6 back on over the weekend Friday to Monday and it still wont update to the Latest firmware released 04/10/16. By Sunday my wireless devices were failing to connect again so back went the HH5.

Has anyone managed to establish when the firmware check is done ?

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 14 of 35

@varkanoid wrote:

I left my HH6 back on over the weekend Friday to Monday and it still wont update to the Latest firmware released 04/10/16. By Sunday my wireless devices were failing to connect again so back went the HH5.

Has anyone managed to establish when the firmware check is done ?

The best way to get firmware updates is by leaving the SmartHub connected and switched on. If you are happy with the HH5 then stick with that. Else use the smarthub and wait for the firmare to update

0 Ratings
jazzguy
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 35

@varkanoid

I think that you will need to leave your HH6 connected for longer than that. I leave my HH6 on 24 hrs a day - it updated to the 4 October firmware on 29 October. BTW, I'm pretty sure that the firmware rolled out from 4 October was SG4B10002236. The latest firmware is SG4B10002244.

0 Ratings
varkanoid
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 35

With regards to firmware version I was just going on the sticky in the forum. Its never been updated since 04/10. Another fail by BT for not informing forum members of firmware changes.

I cant leave it on because the WIFI doesnt work ! I only put it on when I know its not going to be used.

My HH6 was on constantly right upto end of November and no firmware update. I've put it back on every so often for 3-4 days and still no update.

Question is what triggers the firmware check ? Do BT push or does the router pull. You would think it checks daily. Most routers check when you install them. Both Youview boxes check once a day. Could it be set to weekly on the HH ? You'd think somewhere someone would have posted by now how to ensure the box gets a firmware update but its like lick your finger and hold it up in the wind to see which way it blows !

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 35

@varkanoid. If you really wanted to use the HH6 you could always put it back in, but with WiFi disabled, and then use the HH5 for WiFi.

All you'd need to do is:

1. change the IP address of the HH5 to another address e.g., 192.168.1.253

2. disable DHCP on the HH5

3. connect between the HH6 and HH5 via an Ethernet cable

As and when the firmware is upgraded and the WiFi problems you have are resolved, you could then enable WiFi on the HH6.

Regards

0 Ratings
varkanoid
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 35

I have actually thought of that before. Putting the HH5 upstairs and use it as a Wifi access point but the thing that put me off is the HH6 also has the green light issue intermittently. I might give it a go tonight and see what happens.

0 Ratings
RobertM
Contributor
Message 19 of 35

I have a HH5 as a wireless access point off a SmartHub and it works fine. The two are conected by powerline adaptors. The wifi for both units is on.

0 Ratings
varkanoid
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 35

as a seperate SSID ?

0 Ratings