Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greenm3672
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

BT Retail server Fault

Go to solution

I have had no BB service for over 5 weeks due a 'BT retail server fault'.  The fault occurred following an 'upgrade' (sound familiar to anybody?) to the local cabinets in Great Walsingham, Norfolk.  My fault reports are marked as fixed when they are not. Even calls by the 'BT' engineer to Openreach do not resolve the problem or get fobbed off.  Each fault report involves 30 minutes of tortured conversation with a service provider in Bangalore.   How can I get BT to get Openreach to fix my fault?   The OffCom service performance level for BB is 2 days...   I have just realised why Openreach needs to be legally separated and broken up. The best interpretation I can put in this terrible level of service is that Openreach engineers are incompetent, but regretable I believe them to be dishonest as well. 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Retail server Fault

Go to solution
are you on infinity or normal broadband
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
The engineers come from Openreach not BT BT only have call centre staff many based in India
0 Ratings
greenm3672
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Normal broadband or more accurately 'no-broadband'. 

0 Ratings
greenm3672
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks - I am aware of the distinction.  

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @greenm3672,

Welcome to the community forum. I'm sorry you've been left without a Broadband connection. If you send me in your details I'll be able to take a look at what is happening with the fault on your line.

You can send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
greenm3672
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Hi PaddyB,

thanks for contacting me.  I am not sure if you can help or even whether you want to waste your time investigating a sorry litany of underperformance.  I have yet another BT 'engineer' visit booked for Thursday morning who will discover that the there is a BT retail server fault or 'line fault'.  He/she will then make a phone call to openreach to report this and drive off somewhere else, 'job done'.  Several days later nothing will have happened,  my BB will still be unconnected, but miracuousy the fault will be marked as fixed.  Hence like Sisyphus pushing a stone up a mountain for all enternity I will have to start over again with a new fault, taking yet another 30 minutes with a call service in Bangalore.  Do you really want to get involved when you could be spending your time more usefully by banging your head against a wall or entering a state of suspended animation?   Martin 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

@greenm3672

I am sure that @PaddyB or one of the team will sort it out, they do not usually end up banging their head against a wall Smiley Wink

"Retail Server fault" is failly common, and covers a lot of different possible fault conditions.

I assume your phone is working fine?

A cabinet upgrade should not really affect your line, unless its a re-arrangement. As your broadband comes from the exchange, a cabinet re-arrangement would also affect your phone line, if it had gone wrong.

0 Ratings
greenm3672
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Yep, correct.  Phone is working fine.  I will contact @PaddyB. I think our line might have moved from Cabinet 5 Little Walsingham to Cabinet 4, but not certain on this point. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Is the phone number correct, just in case you have a crossed line?

Diai 1470 17070 and check that the number that is read out, matches your home phone number.

I cannot see how a cab re-arrangement would affect ADSL broadband, unless you have a croosed line.

0 Ratings