cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chubs
Message 1 of 37

BT Rolling Contract is pure shambles!

The rolling contract scheme came into play in 2008.

I have cancelled BT to go to Virgin Media in Aug, but BT notified me on Aug 16 that as I was leaving when I am still in Contract which was automatically renewed in July 2010, I have to pay a cancellation fee. They adviced that a end of contract notice was sent 30days prior in June 2010. (which I have never seen).

I wrote to refute stating that I have not agreed to sign for this contrct in 2008, have not agreed to renew in 2009, nor in 2010.

I was not aware of such a contract.

BT's response :
1. In my Bill, it is clearly printed the type of contract (Free Evening & Weekend, Automatically Renewalable Contract). So it's my fault for not reading my bill.

2. BT does not have any proof of delivery of the 30 day notice but they do not need to.

3. I had the chance to stop the cancellation when I received the 16 aug 2010 letter but did not. So it's my choice to leave with the understanding of a cancellation fee payable.

I rang BT this morning with the following response:

1. In the bill no start date or end of contract dates were printed.
2. Since there was no proof of delivery of notice, either by email or letter and nothing printed on my bill, How am I to know when my contract was due.
3. Please provide the contract BT claimed I agreed to in 2008. BT said there is no written agreement.

No matter what I said, the call center staff refuse to accept the fact that an agreement needs the consent of 2 or more parties. In this case, I was never made aware of the 'contract' Have not agreed to be bound by it, but the main thing is I have never received any notice warning me of the end of my contract.

This contract is essentially one-sided!

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 37

Re: BT Rolling Contract is pure shambles!

Hi chubs,

Welcome to the BTCare forum.

Can you drop me an email with your BT account details and your forum username and I'll look into this further for you? Click on my username to get our contact email address 🙂

Thanks,

Stephanie

0 Ratings
laurensb
Message 3 of 37

I cannot agree enough. 

We are in the same situation, trying to take advantage of orange broadband but were informed when we spoke to BT that our contract had been renewed in august 2010 and would not be out of contract until aug 2011! I had no knowledge that we were on a contract of this sort at all let alone that it had been renewed.  We said this to BT during our conversation but were informed that it would have been stated clearly on our previous bill. 

Having no recollection of this I have checked all our bills for this year dated mar 2010 and june 2010 and there is no mention of our contract coming up for renewal in august. 

We have been told that there is an £80 charge to cancel this contract that we never knew existed.  I have no issues with rolling contracts as we have a number with other organisations but they have the decency to inform us clearly when this is up for renewal.

We are now in a no win situation with BT refusing to budge on the situation so stuck with this contract until next year. 

0 Ratings
chubs
Message 4 of 37

Hi,

I would suggest you contact Stephenie G before you go through the tedious route of complaining to OfCom, Otelo, Consumer Direct and the numerous forums.

The BT care Community Forum are more reasonable than all the call centre staff I have spoken to and customer service centres I wrote to.

Good Luck.

Chubs

0 Ratings
sarah-lou
Message 5 of 37

I agree with this.

My partner tried to cancel contract yesterday only to be told the rolling contract started on the The of September its less than 2 weeks ago, We didn't get a letter from BT and when we said that to them we got told its not there fault royal mail didn't deliver.

We said to them they should have made contact with us either by e mail or phone to confirm we had received the letter.

We have also had a year of broadband playing up having to reset several times a day and BT could find anything wrong.

@chubs wrote:

The rolling contract scheme came into play in 2008.

I have cancelled BT to go to Virgin Media in Aug, but BT notified me on Aug 16 that as I was leaving when I am still in Contract which was automatically renewed in July 2010, I have to pay a cancellation fee. They adviced that a end of contract notice was sent 30days prior in June 2010. (which I have never seen).

I wrote to refute stating that I have not agreed to sign for this contrct in 2008, have not agreed to renew in 2009, nor in 2010.

I was not aware of such a contract.

BT's response :
1. In my Bill, it is clearly printed the type of contract (Free Evening & Weekend, Automatically Renewalable Contract). So it's my fault for not reading my bill.

2. BT does not have any proof of delivery of the 30 day notice but they do not need to.

3. I had the chance to stop the cancellation when I received the 16 aug 2010 letter but did not. So it's my choice to leave with the understanding of a cancellation fee payable.

I rang BT this morning with the following response:

1. In the bill no start date or end of contract dates were printed.
2. Since there was no proof of delivery of notice, either by email or letter and nothing printed on my bill, How am I to know when my contract was due.
3. Please provide the contract BT claimed I agreed to in 2008. BT said there is no written agreement.

No matter what I said, the call center staff refuse to accept the fact that an agreement needs the consent of 2 or more parties. In this case, I was never made aware of the 'contract' Have not agreed to be bound by it, but the main thing is I have never received any notice warning me of the end of my contract.

This contract is essentially one-sided!

When we told them that they wasn't supplying what we where paying for they wasn't interested.

We have managed to get the cancellation fee down from over £100 to £70 but this still isn't good enough.

All BT will succeed in doing is making customers so angry that they never return.

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 37

@chubs wrote:

Hi,

I would suggest you contact Stephenie G before you go through the tedious route of complaining to OfCom, Otelo, Consumer Direct and the numerous forums.

The BT care Community Forum are more reasonable than all the call centre staff I have spoken to and customer service centres I wrote to.

Good Luck.

Chubs

I have experience of just how ineffective Ofcom is they seem to need a million complaints over about 2 years before any action is contemplated so agree 100% with your advice

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
bendipa
Message 7 of 37

I've just posted a very similar problem to yours, having just read about your troubles after I posted.

Like yourself, I was not informed of any termination charge, not even when I renewed with BT this year for a second time. The only reference to such a charge I've seen is on their website under a link, so I don't see how its legally binding.I'm not going to bother complaining to Ofcom. I think it's generally agreed they're a waste of space when it comes to personal complaints.You are likely to be fobbed off. I would telephone BT and ask their customer service to send you a letter of compliance, stating your case to them.

If that doesn't work I would then sue them in the small claims court, providing I'm sure I've got a leg to stand on. All you have to do is look at the countless cases of other BT users who have put forward a similar story. So it's highly likely that customers were not told about the termination charges at the time.

Good luck

Peter

0 Ratings
SilverWanderer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 37

OFCOM have recently outlawed BTs excessive penalties.

The maximum is £2 per unexpired month. When I first found I had been tricked by this 'freebie for a returning customer' they wanted £7.50 per month so I have to stay with them until it expires. Never trust a verbal assurance. One cannot tell if the 'adviser' is deliberately cheating or simply does not know the facts.

eg We waited all  day because a BT inspector was due to visit my daughter's house which is a few doors away. Nobody turned up.

In the following week we discovered strangers snooping around her garden on 3 occasions.

Not one BT inspector bothered to phone us to find out if we were home. Incredible waste of time by a private firm saying it has to increase charges.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 37

SilverWanderer,

Could you please provide me with some details of this recent OFCOM movement? Maybe a link to a respectible source if you have one? Or if not any details about the date it was put in place?

Thanks

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 37

Try this

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2010/06/17/cheaper-charges-for-uk-consumers-to-end-phone-contracts-2/

some other interests

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/addcharges/statement/addchargestatement.pdf

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

Tags (1)