cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SilverWanderer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 37

Re: BT Rolling Contract is pure shambles!

I found it on the moneysavingsexpert website. It is a very wideranging site. I think http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/?tab=13&dd might get you close.

For security against viruses it is safest NEVER to use a link given by a stranger. Much safer to search via Google.
0 Ratings
chubs
Message 12 of 37

hi. ofcom will log ur complain but will refer u to otelo who will not do anything for 8 weeks.
the bt call centres will not back down. i would suggest write in to bt then contact stephanin G above who will look into the case for u.

good luck everyone!
0 Ratings
SilverWanderer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 37

My previous post may be meaningless because I was answering a request in another post in this stream. I hope this version is clearer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I tried leave BT I was told it meant cancelling this 'contract' for free calls in the evenings. It had been 'given' to me in gratitude for returning from a competitor. I was told there was a carefully concealed penalty charge of £7.50 for every remaing month.

In the worst case someone could have the 'benefit' for one month which BT would otherwise charge about £2.50. He would pay a penalty of 11x£7.50 in order to escape from BT.

I renetly read that OFCOM have forbidden this and impose a MAXIMUM of £2 per month. I note (after a long search) that BT 'terms and conditions still state the out of date figure.

I found the news about the OFCOM ruling on the moneysavingsexpert website. It is a very wideranging site. I think http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/?tab=13&dd might get you close.

For security against viruses it is safest NEVER to use a link given by a stranger. Much safer to search via Google.
0 Ratings
moosey
Message 14 of 37

Like the OP and others I have never received a notification in writing from BT that my contract was coming up for renewal. Luckily, at a time when I am now  considering moving away from BT, I noticed on the BT website in the My Account area, that my contract is up for renewal next month. I've already contacted BT via the website asking them not to renew it, so we'll see what happens.

However, its very poor, if not actually in breach of their own terms and conditions, that they fail to contact customers in writing when their contracts are coming up for renewal. Keep fighting them - they are in the wrong!

PJ

0 Ratings
RickJ
Message 15 of 37

I just tripped up on this when I decided to leave BT (my ISP now has a better deal for line & calls). They told me my anytime contract had been automatically renewed in january, but I'd been told nothing. I checked the T&Cs, which clearly state that they will inform you.

So I sent a complaint from my BT account web page (Contact us -> choose Complaint as the type of message), and wrote the following:

-------------

I have chosen to transfer my calls and line rental to another provider. However, I was contacted today to be told that my anytime calls package is under contract, and there will be a penalty of around £50 to release it. The contract apparently renewed in January, but I was completely unaware of this.

Your terms state: "At the end of each 12 month minimum period the contract will be automatically renewed for a further 12 month minimum period unless you tell us otherwise before the renewal date. We will write to you the month before the renewal date to remind you of this." Note the last sentence.

I was not informed in any way about the contract renewal date, and in fact have received no correspondence from BT since last October, when I moved my account to a new address.

I conclude that since you did not inform me of the contract renewal, the contract is void and therefore no penalty applies.

I shall continue with my transfer of service, and do not expect any contract-termination penalty to be applied to my final bill.

--------------

Within 48 hours I got a response saying they will not charge any penalty.

Seems that it pays to be forthright. They have to inform you of the renewal - if they don't there is no contract (and the onus is on them to prove that they did contact you, not the other way round). Challenge them head-on and they have no way to get out of it.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Rick

0 Ratings
stevenh1972
Message 16 of 37

I'm now experiencing these same problems with BT's ludicrous rolling contracts

I have switched to a new provider and have been informed that i must now pay £78.30 in termination charges for cancelling my broadband contract early.

I have never been informed that i was on any type of rolling contract. I have been a BT customer in some shape or form for almost 15 years. I have spoken to customer services about this issue twice and have gotten nowhere with them. The managers aren't any better equiped to help and have even been downright rude over the phone.

After the last call to CS I put everything in writing by emailing the complaints dept and low and behold i still have had no response from them in over a week.

To top it off BT have now had the audacity to issue me a bill to pay for non existant services in advance up to mid November.

The whole rolling contracts setup is an extremely deceitful and underhand way of tieing people BT who clearly know that the service they provide is substandard compared to other providers.

Shame on you BT

Steven

0 Ratings
curlysue29
Beginner
Message 17 of 37

I am currently trying to get out of my auto renewing landline contract ( I think it is actually for the free evening and weekend calls that they tag on for "free"). I did know that it was auto renewing, and rang up to ask how long to go as I knew it was around that time and had seen a good offer from sky, I was horrified to learn it had only just been renewed so had another 12 months to go. Like I said,  I knew it was around this time of year for it to be renewed, but I definitely never received a letter telling me a month before. I told this to the helpful (ish) lady on the phone, and firstly she offered me a reduction to £10.90 a month  to continue. As I told her It was not the line rental that was an issue (though that has just gone up??) it was to get a better broadband deal , to get the best deals you have to give them the line rental too. She again seemed quite helpful and said she would put me through to customer services to see if a letter had been sent, and if not, would let me cancel without penalty. I was even considering at this point taking her up on the offer to stick with BT, with the £3 saving on line rental the move to sky was not saving me all that much. But decided to keep my options open and let her put me through to "customer services", I knew it wasn't going to be so smooth from now on once I heard the  Asian accent and the line quality had dropped. Though the 1st lady said she would leave notes on my account to assist whoever took over, I was told that I had to ring back in a couple of hours as the system was down. Gobsmacked that the 1st person was not aware of this, I reluctantly hung up. But now I have been thinking and the blood is starting to boil and I have to say that it is downright disgusting that a company with the supposedly stature of BT, would result to such practises, something a back alley outfit would do in tying you into a ongoing contract, when there is actually no benefit to be gained by the customer for doing so (I have a unlimited use mobile so no need of the free calls, and most other providers provide this service anyway). They can come back with what they want, they may admit that a letter never got sent (again why should a company as BT need to resort to putting the onus on customers to cancel something rather than working to keep them) but I will never use BT again (I know technically even with sky BT are providing the line), and I intend to give them as little of my money as possible, ever again. I have another 1hr before I can call back, but how I feel at the min I feel like just cancelling my DD and let them sue me and prove I am in the wrong, but they have me over a barrel as I am sure they will just cut the line and leave me without broadband (even if I do move to sky)...

I will update this post (I created an account just to vent some steam) when I am thinking more clearly and hopefully have things resolved.

If you have seen this post before sorry for double posting..... think it is in right thread now, but I am of the opionion that as many people (potential customers) need to see what BT are up to as possible, so will leave the other post up.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 37

Hi Curlysue,

It sounds like you have been through a tough time recently. I would like to take a look at this for you. Please could you send me in your details using the link found in the "about me" section of my profile?

Cheers

Paddy

0 Ratings
curlysue29
Beginner
Message 19 of 37

Credit where credit is due

The Mods are going to remove the auto-renew as no letter was sent. 

Still think the whole auto renewing contract in not befiting a company of BT's status, but this forum is defeinetly a plus for them from my point of veiw.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 37

Well done the mods

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings