cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fj2k
Beginner
Message 21 of 37

Re: BT Rolling Contract is pure shambles!

I am fuming with BT. I have just been told the same. I Joined the unlimited call plan a few years ago and now want to move to sky. I have been told as my contract auto renewed in April I have to pay £39 to get out of it!! On the phone i was virtually blackmailed to stay ( IF you stay you wont have any charges and we will reduce the amount you pay each month ). I have had nothing in writing whatsoever, no emails, nothing. Ive been with BT for years and am totally disgusted both at their service and the attitude of the member of staff i spoke to. He would not let me speak even though i was perfectly calm and every time i tried to say my side he cut accross me. Thanks a lot BT, heck of a way to repay customers who have stayed with you for years. I will never, ever have anything directly from them again. Apologies for the rant but i cant believe i have been treated like this.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 37

Might not help you in your case but Ofcom are looking into it:

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/03/ofcom-proposes-ban-on-opt-out-rollover-contracts-246528/

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
fj2k
Beginner
Message 23 of 37

Well if they carry on like this they wont have many people who want to be customers. If it wasent for them ripping me off i would have happily gone back to them in the future. I hope there £39 is worth losing a customer forever as that is what they have done. I hope it does get sorted by ofcom, its a disgusting tactic to hold on to customers. BT have no morals as far as i am concerned.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 37

@fj2k wrote:

Well if they carry on like this they wont have many people who want to be customers. If it wasent for them ripping me off i would have happily gone back to them in the future. I hope there £39 is worth losing a customer forever as that is what they have done. I hope it does get sorted by ofcom, its a disgusting tactic to hold on to customers. BT have no morals as far as i am concerned.

Hi fj2k,

You could always try the mods, see if they can help. If you fill in this form: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 with a link back to your post for ref, the mods will get back to you. it can take up to 3 days.

But for £39, if I really wanted to go that £39  would not hold me back.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
fj2k
Beginner
Message 25 of 37

I am definately leaving and the £39 will not stand in my way but the principal of them ripping me off on my way makes my **bleep** boil. Out of principal i would rather pay more for my phone in the future than go back to BT
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 37

Principal wise, a man after my own heartSmiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
blimpster21
Beginner
Message 27 of 37

i am also having this problem, my contract ran out in july, no letter recieved, and no phone call to advise otherwise.

I contacted BTs online chat, and was told in a polite way, that i will have to pay the monies. Ive been a customer of BT since i was 21, (now 37!). Sounds like BT have our hands tied, ive always been told that BT had a bad name which i chose to ignore as i have never had a problem, but seems like ive been proven wrong. Below is my conversation with BT, which explains that i cant do anything untill the automatic system adds the charge to my account???

Ciaran: Hello. I'm Ciaran. Thanks for that information, I'll check it and get back to you in a moment.

Ciaran: I am very sorry about this but unfortunately you should have contacted BT before placing this order to check if you were in contract

andrewjennings: i knew my contract finished in july, so i automatically looked for cheaper options. I note from your forums that this is an ongoing issue to which ofcom are looking at, i also note that a number of customers have complained that had the charge wavered

andrewjennings: the user name of one of your customers who is stating this is RickJ

Ciaran: I am sorry but unfortunately this issue was in dispute but this has now been resolved, after September of this year this agreement ended but all contracts before that date still stand it just means any rolling contracts after that date will not auto renew.  Unfortunately we contacted you one month before this contract was due to expire to advise that if you did not want this to renew you needed to contact us but if you were happy with this then you need not do anything.

Ciaran: I am sorry but I cannot comment on forums, but I must advise this charge must be paid

andrewjennings: i did not receive any contact from yourselves, otherwise i would have contacted you to cancel

andrewjennings:

i have been a customer of bt for the last 17yrs with no issues, but this came to surprise for me

Ciaran: I I am sorry about this, but I must also advise that this charge has not yet been raised on a BT bill and therefore we cannot investigate this until it does so

andrewjennings: at what point can i complain then? im trying to stop this before it becomes an issue, we just don't have the available monies to pay such bills in this current climate

Ciaran: I am sorry but unfortunately we cannot stop these charges being applied, you were in contract and you selected to cancel your services therefore our billing system will naturally add cancellation charges to your final bill.

andrewjennings:

how do i raise this complaint?

Ciaran: I am sorry as advised we cannot investigate this further until this charge has appeared on a bill therefore until your transfer is complete and your final bill is issued therefore unfortunately you will need to raise the complaint then

andrewjennings:

it just seems stupid that an issue can not be dealt with until it becomes a problem. Thankyou for your time

0 Ratings
sarahwal
Beginner
Message 28 of 37

I cannot believe that a company such as BT are operating in such an underhand manner. I have paperwork that states my contract commenced on 24.11.2009 & 18 months is mentioned in the letter, after checking this i presumed I was free to transfer to a new provider, which I did. I was then sent a bill with £49 cancellation charges????? AND charges for the next months broadband - which I no longer use??? I have never been informed of a 'rolling' contract, I've never been sent a reminder letter informing me of a new contract commencing, I have never agreed to a new contract commencing, (They are operating this like car & house insurance, except they dont let you know you are in a rolling contract & they dont send reminder letters!! how DECIETFUL.

I contacted the call centre who said my contract started in June 2010??? when i mentioned I had a letter he said oh yes it is Nov 2009?? Get your story straight - HE then said he couldn't do anything. I've emailed & surprisingly had no response. When I had phoned to cancel my broadband they offered a good deal & I thought I would probably come back to them at some point, but theres no chance now.

As in a previous post & against BT's terms & conditions "I have never been informed about a contract renewal date" & if I have I would please like BT to prove this to me, I have all correspondance from them going back 10 years. So there is no contract.

Has this been on BBC watchdog yet? sure Anne Robinson would have a field day with it. Despicable.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 29 of 37

Hi Sarahwal,

I'll be happy to have a look into for you and and get everything cleared up.

Could you drop me in an email please? Use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
blimpster21
Beginner
Message 30 of 37

I have recieved a response to my post, even though i clearly say i never recieved a letter, BT are still insistant i did, and will not waver the charge. This forum is a great customer service tool for BT, and the people are polite, just a shame BT cant reflect that on there so called rolling contracts to which even though we say we havent recieved letters, they say otherwise. Maybe i should send cash to pay for my account bills, and then when i doesnt arrive, tell them to prove otherwise!!!! as my automatic cash sending machine tells me it was sent. Shoe on other foot??? Im sure BT wouldnt stand for it, and the debt collectors would come knocking.

0 Ratings