cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StewM
Guru
Message 1 of 22

BT Showcase

If this article is to be believed, another channel launch for BT Sports on DTT/Freeview.

"Summer 2015: Licence recently issued for 'BT Showcase', indicating a new BT service on digital terrestrial television. BT has previously indicated that it will show some Champions League matches for free from the 2015/16 season, whether BT Showcase is part of that plan remains to be seen; BT has not yet outlined its Champions League coverage plans for 2015/16"

Stew

21 REPLIES 21
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 22

Re: BT Showcase

Well if I look at the Ofcom licensing summary for February - BT Showcase is listed as a name change for the existing Bt Sport Sample 

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/tv-broadcast-licences/updates/022015

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 22

Interesting idea. Does that mean BT could sell and keep all the advertising time through-out showing the programme...

I presume that would also mean it would only be in SD..so if youwant to watch the Champions league final in HD you would have to subscribe to BTTV....

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 22

Yes interesting. Why would BT bother renaming it if they were going to end the licence soon? I notice it's called BT Showcase and not anything specific to sport. Pick TV on Freeview currently functions as a showcase/advertising platform for Sky TV.

There were some stories last year reporting that BT were in discussions with ITV. Not sure if anything came of that though.

Having the free Champs League matches on their own DTT Freeview channel could possibly make sense if the advertising paid for the DTT licence and transmission costs. They might wish to fill it up with other sport/entertainment showcase progs to try to boost viewing figures and to also use it as an advertising platform for BT Phone/Broadband/TV?

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 22

BT Showcase has appeared on channel 75 on my TV.

On COM7 alongside all the extra HD channels I think (BBC 4 HD, etc).

Not the most exciting channel currently though!

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 22

No Com7 here, so not a lot of use for me, and many others who can't receive the mux.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 22

Channel 75 now listed on  http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/industry/Channels/channel_listings

Currently just showing a message saying programmes start again at 3am!

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 22

The programme description says ....

"Welcome to BT Showcase, showcasing some of the best action from BT Sport. For more details, go to bt.com/sport or call 0800 678 1955."

Elsewhere on the web someone suggested it is currently just a placeholder active between 3am and 4am. Possibly the channel number and multiplex could change in future, who knows?

Exactly what it will show and for how long is anybody's guess at this time.

The picture currently shows a new channel logo that is similar to the other BT Sport ones.
0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 22

I guess we can safely assume that's where the live free-to-view Champions League matches will be shown next season. Wonder what else though?

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 22

@umpire wrote:

Channel 75 now listed on  http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/industry/Channels/channel_listings

Currently just showing a message saying programmes start again at 3am!

BT Showcase now moving to 59 (replacing the old BT Sport 2) according to digitaluk. Still on COM7 though.

It has moved to 806 on my TV, but expect that is just a temporary hop on the way to 59.

It is currently transmitting a 15 min loop advertising BT Sport programmes between 3am and 4am.

Is it present on a BT Youview+ DVB-T2 box in the right reception area?

0 Ratings