cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Smart Hub 2 (FTTP), Digital Voice and pfSense Router

Hi All,

So I’ve just had my installation, I would like to use my Smart Hub 2 for the digital voice and my pfSense box to do my internal routing.

ONT > SH2 (Digital Voice only) > pfSense 

I’m aware I can use PPOE details in pfSense if I didn’t use SH2 but I need it for the VOIP service. What settings do I need for pfSense in WAN and Gateway settings.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 (FTTP), Digital Voice and pfSense Router

TheSH2 doesn't have a modem only mode so will still be routing and natting and dealing with the PPPoE connection settings. You will need to connect the hub to theWAN port of the pfSense and create a different subnet if yyou wish to continue using the SH2 for DV.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Give the pfSense a WAN port address of 192.168.1.10 and gateway 192.168.1.254. Set the pfSense LAN addresses in the 192.168.0.xx subnet

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Current potential setup is like this:
ONT connected to SH2 (WAN), SH2 (LAN 1) connected to pfSense (WAN). I have changed the IP configuration on SH2 as described below.

SH2
IP is 192.168.0.1
Subnet is 255.255.255.0

pfSense
IP is 192.168.1.1
Subnet is 255.255.255.0

Bearing this in mind, do I think set the WAN of the pfSense router to 192.168.0.1, if so what do I set the Gateway IP to be? My difficulty is getting the pfSense router to get pass through the internet, I don’t believe there will be any NAT issues.

I have read in other post that you can do this using DMZ but I want to avoid doing this as it opens up vulnerabilities. I can disable DHCP, Firewall, UPNP, Wifi and smart setup on SH2 to stop the double NAT issue. (https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-with-different-Router/m-p/210...)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Why have you changed the hub subnet, it is simpler to leave the hub as default.

You can't avoid double natting whatever you do. Putting the second router in the DMZ of the first will avoid double port forwarding but not double natting.

0 Ratings