cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 1 of 32

BT Smart Hub 6 and Internet Connection Regularly Dropping

I know there are lots of posts on here about BT Broadband (not Infinity) internet connections dropping using various HH versions, but I didn't want to just post on these in case it wasn't the right thing to do.

First off, I used to have a HH3 but kept getting DCHP lease renewals all the time (no matter what period I set) which made using any device almost impossible.

At this point I had an offer to receive a BT Smart Hub 6 if I renewed my BT Broadband contract for 18 months.  I did this.

I connected the BT Smart Hub and waited for it all to settle down.  During the first 3 or 4 weeks the connection was horribly erratic and unstable - sometimes the router would restart (through the amber/flashing amber/blue light sequence) many, many times a day.

I placed many calls to BT Broadband support and have had numerous tests on the line carried out by them.  Every time I called they would run another!  I followed their advice and connected to the test socket using a separate filter for the ADSL connection.  I also carried out a factory reset many times. Whilst the connection problem did seem to get better, it didn't go away and would still disconnect several times a day.  I eventually got agreement for an engineer's visit but this was cancelled (not by me).  This has happened 3 or 4 times now and I'm getting very, VERY frustrated.

On the last occaision when they cancelled a visit (3/1/18), and I called to complain, they agreed to send me a replacement BT Smart Hub 6 which I plugged in on Friday 5/1/18 and did a full reset.  I also reconnected my master socket filter, faceplate etc. as advised by BT telephone support.  Here is a copy of my current routers information:

Product name: BT Hub 6A
Serial number: +084319+NQ62783618
Firmware version: SG4B1000B316
Firmware updated: 05-Jan-2018
Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.64.0
DSL uptime: 0 Days, 13 Hours 8 Minutes 13 Seconds
Data rate: 1.20 Mbps / 8.70 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 1179 / 9252
Noise margin: 5.8 dB / 4.3 dB
Line attenuation: 43.5 dB
Signal attenuation: 25.2 dB / 43.5 dB
VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_992_5_ANNEX_A
Latency type: Fast Path
Data sent / received: 45160 MB Uploaded / 44144 MB Downloaded
Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi: Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-XXXX
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-XXXX
5 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security: WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode: Mode 1
Firewall: On
MAC address: 40:C7:29:0D:93:A9
Software variant: -
Boot loader: 7.33.1

Since 5/1/18 the connection has been relatively stable but still disconnects once or twice a day - but I'm not sure whether the hub goes through a full startup with the normal flashing light sequence - this is because it was happening regularly at about 4:00 in the morning (between 03:50 and 04:07).  Recently, however, the internet connection has rebooted during the evening - I haven't managed to catch the light sequence though.

Latest relevant entries in the Event Log are as follows:

22:24:43, 09 Jan. :Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)

22:24:43, 09 Jan. :connection ATM_DATA disconnected.[ERROR_USER_DISCONNECT]

22:24:42, 09 Jan. BR_LAN:The LAN DHCPv6 Server is active

22:24:42, 09 Jan. BR_LAN:LAN Router Advertisement Setting Updated : M_flag = 0, O_flag = 1

22:24:42, 09 Jan. :Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)

Losing the internet connection causes numerous problems when uploading photos/videos/music because it takes so long on my relatively slow upload link and is something I set to run overnight.  Equally downloading software updates is problemmatic because it's not a quick process and again is something that I set to run overnight.  On the plus side, when my connection is working, the upload/download speeds are better than they've ever been!

I've also run a Quiet Line Test and this currently seems OK - unlike a couple of months ago when it was crackly.

Hopefully, somebody on the forum can help resolve the problem - or should I call BT yet again (I've been putting off doing so as it takes agaes for them to run through everything.

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 32

Re: BT Smart Hub 6 and Internet Connection Regularly Dropping

Welcome to this user forum.

At the moment I can see its been connected for 13 hours.

Could it be the uploading that is causing the connection to fail, as this issue has been reported before?

If you try to upload faster than your upload speed, then the home hub will disconnect.

Could you please post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics.

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 3 of 32

Hi Keith - thanks for the very speedy response.

Yes the connection has been up for 13 hours - it went down yesterday evening but didn't go down overnight. This seems to be a change in behaviour ???? not sure if this means anything.

I've not been uploading anything for a few weeks now - didn't want to take a chance on causing problems with partial uploads etc.

I have been unable to run the speed test - I just get a blank screen. I think this may be a problem with my Mac as it doesn't like Flash. I've done it in the past, however, so I'll keep trying.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 32

I cannot see anything wrong with the connection, and its exceeding the expected speed range for your connection.

From the Kitz website.

Estimation of your maximum rate adaptive adsl speed

Downstream
Attenuation
dB Approx
Line Length
km

dslMAX (20CN) kbps IP Profile kbps

BT 21CN WBC
& adsl2+
kbps IP Profile kbps

adsl2+ (LLU) kbps Throughput kbps

The disconnects may have been due to noise bursts on the line, or it could simply be DLM making adjustments.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Technical-Glossary/td-p/1434070#_Toc40878352...

0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 5 of 32

Just had some success running the speed test.  Results as follows:

Broadband Speed Test Results

Download Speed (Mbps): 8.33

Upload Speed (Mbps): 1.03

Ping Latency(ms): 26.38

Best Effort Test

Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.33 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 7.68 Mbps

Upstream Test

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.03Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Interesting that download and upload speeds are both higher than my IP profile indicates - I said that the speeds were better than they've ever been!  Normally I would get max download of about 5.0 Mbps and upload of 1.0 Mbps.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 32

That looks quite good, so I would just leave it alone for now.

0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 7 of 32

Yes - speed is way better than anything I've had since I started with BT.   Something has, obviously (?), been happening with the line since my fault report process started.

So I'm very happy with the speed at the moment. I'm worried about the dropped connections and will keep an eye on when and how often they happen.

Is there anything I can do regarding the potential noise bursts.  Sounds like they could be related to a dodgy 'joint' anywhere along the line from the exchange and could be difficult to trace.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 32

@graeme2507 wrote:

Is there anything I can do regarding the potential noise bursts.  Sounds like they could be related to a dodgy 'joint' anywhere along the line from the exchange and could be difficult to trace.

Thanks for your help.

No, a bad joint would cause far more problems than you are seeing Smiley Wink

Its a good idea to check for noise on your phone line.

Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 9 of 32

OK.

I ran the noise test this morning and it was clear so if it's a burst causing problems it's probably very quick and would be impossible to catch Smiley Frustrated.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 32

@graeme2507 wrote:

OK.

I ran the noise test this morning and it was clear so if it's a burst causing problems it's probably very quick and would be impossible to catch Smiley Frustrated.

Thanks again.

It could also be a high radio frequency burst, which would not show up on a phone.

0 Ratings