cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
englishbullterrier
Contributor
Message 1 of 27

BT Smart Hub 6 port assignment using WPS not working. uPnP not working.

I upgraded last week to fibre and included was a Smart Hub 6.

Guess what, it doesn't work correctly.

Upon setting up my iPcams, the port assignments are wrong.

They should be set to 8150 for the first and 8151 for the second.

They are both set to 0.

The supplier of my webcams (I have 5 over 2 properties and am very familiar with them) have told me -

"This is something we have seen with a number of BT users and is related exclusively to their new homehub 6 router hardware.

Unfortunately there is no fix in the camera to resolve this issue as it relates to the uPnP systems in the router, not the camera.

I recommend contacting BT regarding this issue and seeing if they have a fix for this, allowing the camera to assign the ports correctly".

Has anyone any suggestions please ? Has anyone else experienced this and fixed it via a firmware update ?

Many thanks.............ebt

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 27

Re: BT Smart Hub 6 port assignment using WPS not working. uPnP not working.

If you can set Static IP addresses in the cameras that's the best way to go.  As you discovered UPnP doesn't work properly.  You will have to manually assign the ports in the Hub.  You likely have seen the appropriate settings page already.  I can't be more explicit as I don't use a hub.  It should work once you put the settings in though.

0 Ratings
englishbullterrier
Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Hi, thanks for trying to help.

I went into the hub manager/Port Forwarding section and set up a Port Forwarding rule for my camera.

I set the range from 8150 to 8159 and saved it.

Restarted the router and it's still set to 0.

I wonder if that is the actual firmware bug, that it is set to 0 and can't be changed by uPnP or manually !!!!

ebt

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 27

You are seemingly doing everything right, so unless someone else has figured out what the problem you have is I would suspect the Hub is faulty.  If you could try a factory reset, with the recessed button held in for at least 20 seconds then try port forwarding again, it may work.  Only do the reset once though as too many restarts can make DLM think there's a fault and drop the speed to compensate.

The times I tried using Hubs I found port forwarding to be rather hit or miss.  Sometimes it worked then it didn't.

0 Ratings
englishbullterrier
Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Thanks, I'll try tomorrow and update this thread before I switch back  to my Hub 5.

What's the situation with BT with this being a brand new hub supplied on a new 18 month contract. Under normal circumstances, they should be contractually bound to fix it or replace it ?

No point have uPnP as part of the design or port forwarding, if it doesn't work ?

ebt

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 27

I imagine if you convince Customer Services the Hub is faulty they will replace it.  Obviously with another Hub 6.  You might be lucky and this (new) one will port forward properly.  Don't hold your breath with the UPnP though.  The consensus seems to be turn it off.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 27

@englishbullterrier

This may help, as its a working example.

Example of port forwarding on HH6

0 Ratings
englishbullterrier
Contributor
Message 8 of 27

Thanks to  you both.

I reset the hub to factory yesterday and although I can set up a rule for port forwarding, a check shows that the port is not being opened.

I will try and get a replacement and see if that works.

Watch this space !

ebt

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 27

Ports will be shown as closed if the cameras are not connected.

Can you do a screen capture showing your port forwarding screen, like the example shown on my website?

I doubt that its an issue with the home hub.

One option would be to use a different router to prove the issue, and also keep as a spare in case your home hub fails.

They only cost £30 locally or online, and I can guarantee there are no issues with port forwarding, as I am using one on my webserver and IP cameras.

0 Ratings
englishbullterrier
Contributor
Message 10 of 27

Hi Keith,  thanks for trying to help. Port Forwarding is a bit of magic to me as I've always used uPnP to set it up. My iPcams were working perfectly on my Hub 5.

Can you quicjly tell me how to attach/imbed a screen shot in this forum please ?

0 Ratings