Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

BT Smart Hub - Always use this IP address doesn't work

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been discussed many times before.  With all the complaints about terrible performance of the hub its hard to keep track.

Anyway due to the IP conflicts that stop certain devices from connection.  I decided, after a pinhole reset, to assign every device with a static IP address.  Anyway, seems it doesnt work and when you set 'Always use this IP address' to 'ON' and click save, it shows as 'OFF' the next time you go back into it.

This is the same for every device I have tried??

Please help as the the only thing this device is very good at is blocking any countermeasures you try and take to correct other issues!

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Smart Hub - Always use this IP address doesn't work

Hi,

You really need to set the static IP address in each device and not rely on the Hub to remember these things.  Apparently it's not very good at remembering.  Also if you need to reset the hub it will erase the settings in any case.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Thanks for the info both.  I guessed it was already a 'thing' but if I spent time searching and reading up on all the Smart Hub issues I wouldnt do anything else or see my family.

So if this doesnt actually work why dont BT have it disabled in the settings until they have fixed it?  Its all well and good doing it at a device level, but if this setting is there it should at least function.  The stability of this thing is absolutely pathetic.  I wouldnt mind SO much if I hadnt renewed my contract losing all of my discounts just to end up worse off performance wise (and of course financially).  Being this bad surely takes some kind of special skill?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 16

Hi,

You could do what I and a lot of other users have done.  Treat yourself to a proper modem/router.  That way you get a device whose functions actually function in the approved manner.  You need one that supports VDSL as you're on Infinity.

Billion, Netgear, TP-Link, FritzBox etc.  Download the user manuals from the makers sites and decide which one has the functions you require.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Ive worked in IT for over 15 years so Ive had pretty much every router on the market. Before the smart hub I tried both a top of the range TP Link Archer VR2600 and a Netgear Nighthawk. All seem to come with 'something' that causes me to return them. Cant remember the Nighthawk issues but the VR2600 has issues browsing webpages (on all devices) whereby it wouldn't load a page and hitting refresh would result in it loading instantly. After fiddling around with all of the settings and DNS addresses I returned it. Other 3rd party routers in the past have had issues with certain devices, I had a Belkin that appeared to be great but turns out it didn't work well with Xbox Live.

If BT sorted out the stability of the SmartHub it would actually be a good router as aside from IP conflicts and dropping wifi, all devices work well with it when its behaving itself.

Out of interest Liam, what router did you get?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

The TP-Link TD-W9980 is quite a popular choice with forum users.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Thanks I'll have a look 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 16

Hi,

Personally I prefer the FritzBox with the Billion coming a close second.  Not having used a TP-Link at all nor any of the recent Netgear devices I can't say I have encountered the problems you describe.

Used a Billion 7800N when with BE and continued using it after moving back to BT, (ADSL).  When Infinity was installed I just missed getting the Openreach modem or I'd still be using the Billion.  Got a FritzBox to replace the Hub 5, got 3 models of hubs in their boxes.  They were all unstable connection wise, poor wireless, and basically unconfigurable, no point in complaining to BT about it, they would just send me another Hub!

The Fritz has been connected for 34 months and never dropped the connection once, sync has been a constant 79997/19999 since day one.

Belkin, well, least said, as it were.  Tired one of them as well, not impressed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Thanks Liam, do you have a link to the exact model you have? I have read up on them previously but never actually tried one.
0 Ratings