cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neal1971
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

BT Smart Hub DHCP Server

Why is the DHCP Server on the BT Smart Hub so useless?

In this day and age you sould be able to assign a specific IP address to a MAC address before you connect it.

And before anyone goes on about setting each device I have statically...I have over 20 devices that need connecting to the device...and its a complete pain having to go to each device to set the IP...and some of my devices need to be given the same IP addrress (printers, NAS devices, etc.)

Come on BT, when will you learn that some of us are tech savvy (Im a Software Engineer and IT Manager) and would like to configure the Home hubs to suit our needs not yours.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Checked2013
Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Smart Hub DHCP Server

@Neal1971 wrote:

Why is the DHCP Server on the BT Smart Hub so useless?

In this day and age you sould be able to assign a specific IP address to a MAC address before you connect it.

And before anyone goes on about setting each device I have statically...I have over 20 devices that need connecting to the device...and its a complete pain having to go to each device to set the IP...and some of my devices need to be given the same IP addrress (printers, NAS devices, etc.)

Come on BT, when will you learn that some of us are tech savvy (Im a Software Engineer and IT Manager) and would like to configure the Home hubs to suit our needs not yours.

you can't and shoudn't have more than one device using the same IP address

0 Ratings
Neal1971
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Im not...you havent read the post correctly.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Leaving aside the customisation or lack of on the SmartHub if you are  "a Software Engineer and IT Manager"  why on earth are you commenting on this or even using an ISP's router. You should know that ISPs routers are for the masses and are not designed to tampered with other than adjusting some basic settings.

0 Ratings
Neal1971
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

What business of that is yours?

I have asked a legitimate question...it shouldnt matter whether the router is for the masses or not...or whether or not I should use one because I know what i'm doing.

The DHCP Server interface on the Smart Hub is full of bugs and doesnt work properly.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 16

The Home Hub is just intended as a simple "plug and play" device for home use.  The average domestic user has no concept of MAC addresses and wouldn't even understand why they would want to assign specific IP addresses to each MAC address.

The average user would be completely baffled if asked for a big long hexadecimal string before they could plug their new gadget into the Home Hub (or connect it wirelessly).  That's assuming it's even displayed anywhere on the device.

If the Hub just automatically assigned a new IP address to each MAC address it saw, then there's a risk of running out of addresses after a while.  Again, this would cause more confusion amongst users who would wonder why their new gadgets won't connect, while the old ones do.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

It is none of my business other than you posted on a public forum. It would appear that you have no concept of what an ISPs router is designed to do. Good luck with getting an answer that suits you.

0 Ratings
Neal1971
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

I have a good grasp of what an ISPs router is supposed to do thank you very much.

Instead of having a go at someone for posting a qestion to a problem try answering the question and if you cant answer the question then dont bother commenting.

The arrogance of some people astounds me.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

I did answer your question and your arrogance of stating that you are  "a Software Engineer and IT Manager " as though that makes you a cut above everybody else astounds me!

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 16

Hi Neal1971,

In answer to the question,

"Why is the DHCP Server on the BT Smart Hub so useless?".

Like most ISP routers the Home Hubs are designed so that the majority of users who have little or no IT skills cannot screw things up too badly. Also they are intentionally made simple to assist the Indian call centre script readers and allow for the usual 'fix' of "Do a factory reset of the Hub and reboot your PC or whatever." which will likely cure most home users problems.

Most home users do not have extensive home networks and to be honest setting static IPv4 addresses is not that much of a hassle, you only need to do it once. As for IPv6 the routers I have looked at recently have constantly assigned the same DHCP IP address after each restart.

I have over 30 years computer experience, several of them managing a workshop and customer care. I have never used the ISP supplied routers, when the engineer left after installing Infinity here the Hub 5 went back in it's box.

Reading through problems and solutions on this forum is an education in itself, so I'm still learning.