cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retrovertigo
Aspiring Expert
Message 51 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

No complaints of iffy upnp implementation? Does that mean I could finally get a BT HUb that will allow me to connect two Xbox Ones and both have open NAT at last?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 52 of 763

Just noticed on another thread the HUB6 is reporting VPI/VCI 0/38 with modulation G993.2!!!

0 Ratings
mlmclaren94
Contributor
Message 53 of 763

This new hub needs more usable 5Ghz channels...

Having 4 (or theoretically 1 at 80Mhz) is not cutting it anymore, there's too much congestion and I don't exactly fancy seeing the 5Ghz of the future being forced to use 20/40mhz channels like the 2.4Ghz band being pushed down from 300mbps to 144mbps.

Sort out DFS.

0 Ratings
bh8er
Contributor
Message 54 of 763

An annoying bug.

The HH6 has decided to say my iPad IP address is static. Trying to use change settings it says the change is saved but device is still shown with the same IP address and static. Tried twice this PM. Tried the other day and ended up with the Admin password being not accepted. That took 2 restarts and a power cycle (switch off/on). A frustrating "chat" got nowhere.

It would be great to say how wonderful HH6 is but I cannot and it a phone call for help was put in a queue and still in it. i.e. never called back after 4 days.

0 Ratings
nix99
Contributor
Message 55 of 763

I have outstanding calls with BT support but just to repeat here.

Firmware: SG4B100021EC

* Using a PPTP type VPN from windows 10 crashes the smart hub (tried two different laptops).

* Using iPlayer on my samsung TV used to be very stable - playback is terrible now and always results in failure.

* Most of the time my Android Nexus 7 (2013 model) cannot talk to the internet now even though it displays a strong signal.

* My wifes laptop seemed to struggle connecting the wifi.

I truely wish I'd have stuck with my old home hub 4!!

0 Ratings
nix99
Contributor
Message 56 of 763

The penny finally dropped as to why I'm getting intermittent operation on my Samsung Smart TV & my Nexus Android device!

For some reason they are both being given the same IPv4 address by DHCP - that's not going to work is it now!

Plus I too can't work out why a device of mine which is definitely wireless appears under the wired section??

Hey and who made that device IP address statically allocated - it wasn't me!

Joking aside I really hope someone on high is taking all these bug reports seriously - a DHCP server failing to hand out IP addresses correctly is a serious serious issue!

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 57 of 763

@nix99 wrote:

The penny finally dropped as to why I'm getting intermittent operation on my Samsung Smart TV & my Nexus Android device!

For some reason they are both being given the same IPv4 address by DHCP - that's not going to work is it now!

I agree this is poor behaviour from the Smart Hub, but as per the DHCP specification it's not incorrect. Section 3.1 of RFC 2131 Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol states:

"When allocating a new address, servers SHOULD check that the offered network address is not already in use; e.g., the server may probe the offered address with an ICMP Echo Request. Servers SHOULD be implemented so that network administrators MAY choose to disable probes of newly allocated addresses."

If it's poor behaviour from the Smart Hub, then the same must be be said for the client. From the same RFC:

"The client SHOULD perform a final check on the parameters (e.g., ARP for allocated network address), and notes the duration of the lease specified in the DHCPACK message. At this point, the client is configured. If the client detects that the address is already in use (e.g., through the use of ARP), the client MUST send a DHCPDECLINE message to the server and restarts the configuration process."

The key word in the above is SHOULD which means "that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore this item". 

I assume in the interest of "fair play" you'll be asking for bugs to be raised for the Samsung TV and Nexus Android device Smiley Wink

Regards

0 Ratings
nix99
Contributor
Message 58 of 763

I assume in the interest of "fair play" you'll be asking for bugs to be raised for the Samsung TV and Nexus Android device Smiley Wink

The assumption being that if those devices are sending a DHCPDECLINE message the smart hub DHCP implemention would handle that correctly? 😛

Anyways fixed my issue by change the DHCP allocation range - it seemed to kick something inside into action and we are all good now.

Wish I could fix my VPN crashing bug so easily but I think that will require a firmware upgrade ...

0 Ratings
kncowans
Contributor
Message 59 of 763

Hello

I recently upgraded to the BT Smart Hub from the BT Hub 4.

On the BT Hub 4 I was able to access my local devices, i.e. Network Switches, NAS, Printers etc. via their Hostname.

For example, I was able to access my Network Switches by entering 'gs108t-upstairs.home' in the browser (Edge) and it would open the management page for that device.

Since upgrading to the BT Smart Hub and setting it up the same way regarding the Device Names I am no longer able to access any devices by their Hostname, apart from the Smart Hub by entering 'bthomehub.home' in the browser.

Thanks

Kevin

0 Ratings
matthew1
Beginner
Message 60 of 763

Hi,

I am waiting for my Internet connection to activate but while setting up the Smart Hub noticed a few bugs with the default firmware:

Firmware Version: SG4B100021D0

Problem #1: Changing the Admin password to a password that contains any of the following characters (there may be more) causes the Smart Hub to erroneously complain the old password was incorrect (and the password will not be changed) : $, #, ', &

Problem #2: Changing the Wireless password to a password that contains a & results in that character in the password being changed to an &amp (which it would be in HTML, but it is over-escaping it) which then locks the user out of the wireless. There may be more forbidden characters but I haven't tried any yet.

I tried getting webchat to open up a ticket to the Smart Hub engineering team but she said the best place to report these issues is on the forum..

When my Internet connection activates and the Smart Hub auto-updates its software then it's possible these have been fixed in a later software version; I wanted to raise it just in-case it hasn't (and improve the customer experience for our customers!). Either way there should be a BT custhelp article for it as I can't be the only person who wants to set up the router when it arrives.

Ah, I just found by searching on the firmware version the following similar report when setting the Wireless network name (SSID) : https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/New-HH-HH6-5G-SSID-Problems/td-p/1642149

Thanks,

Matthew

0 Ratings