cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
3,110 Views
Message 111 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements


@prinknash wrote:

My Smart Hub was rebooted remotely around 08:30 this morning. Although the firmware version is unchanged (still 21EC), I note that - after 2 months Inactive - BT Wifi status is finally showing as Active, and the BT Wifi-with-FON channel is now appearing on devices. Don't know if any other bugs have been sorted out.

 

p


Yes,

My HH6 activated the BT Wifi status, on 26-08-2016.

There was however no reboot; it activated at 2-00am, apparently on a routine TR 69 communication.

 

There's still the bug regarding the data download resetting to zero at 4GB.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
3,105 Views
Message 112 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements


@Ribblelancs wrote:
There's still the bug regarding the data download resetting to zero at 4GB.

Not a bug as such. The 32-bit counter used for data download does exactly what it should and goes back to 0 after reaching 4,294,967,296 bytes. This is more a design fault in selecting to use a 32-bit counter for this purpose, rather than a 64-bit counter which wraps after 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 bytes.

 

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
3,100 Views
Message 113 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

I been rushed to Hospital again on Wed evening really pleased to see the HH6 had happily been running with no interruptions except the odd noted reboot. Annoying that this is still not listed in the Hub Event log. Good therapy for me though not to be laid up in bed. After 2 Ambulace rides in same number of weeks tends to Focus the mind a bit. HH6 working kept my communications links open during very difficult times so very happy with that.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
3,037 Views
Message 114 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements


@prinknash wrote:

 

- there's strange behaviour when setting up a separate 5GHZ Wi-fi network. I like to have the name the same for both 2.4GHz and 5GHZ but with a 5 on the end of the 5GHz name. That was fine with the HH5 but now I'm not allowed to do that and apparently have to have -5 at the end of the second name whether I like it or not! (I got into a nice tussle whereby I kept erasing the -5 and trying to put 5 in but each time the -5 was reinstated.)

 

 

 


BUG: Yep, that -5 suffix on 5GHz network name is unnecessary and mildy irritatting. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
3,030 Views
Message 115 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

Firmware version: SG4B100021EC

BUG: The router restarts itself for no apparent reason in the middle of Battlefield 4 online game. HH5 did not exhibit this issue.

BUG: The ping to Battlefield 4 servers becomes longer over time. I had 5 favourite servers report over 100ms ping. After restarting the router these same servers report 5ms ping. There must be a resource leak in the router because its performance degrades over time and hence it needs to be rebooted.

BUG: -5 suffix on 5GHz network name is unnecessary and mildly irritating. This is an anti-feature, please remove the -5 suffix.

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
3,022 Views
Message 116 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements


@smf22 wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:
There's still the bug regarding the data download resetting to zero at 4GB.

Not a bug as such. The 32-bit counter used for data download does exactly what it should and goes back to 0 after reaching 4,294,967,296 bytes. This is more a design fault in selecting to use a 32-bit counter for this purpose, rather than a 64-bit counter which wraps after 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 bytes.

 

Regards


This count reset problem was first evident on the HH3, and was fixed. (It started counting backwards, at one stage, after reaching the max!).

The HH5 did not show this problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
3,015 Views
Message 117 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

So being a pedant I still say it's not a bug. It's a stupid design decision to use 32 bit counters, but the behaviour is actually correct, even if ridiculous Smiley Happy

 

EDIT: @Ribblelancs Actually I'll concede and agree it's a bug. Wikipedia says "A software bug is an error, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways. Most bugs arise from mistakes and errors made by people in either a program's source code or its design"

 

So it's a bug in design rather than implementation.

 

Regards

 

Highlighted
3,008 Views
Message 118 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements


@smf22 wrote:

So being a pedant I still say it's not a bug. It's a stupid design decision to use 32 bit counters, but the behaviour is actually correct, even if ridiculous Smiley Happy

 

EDIT: @Ribblelancs Actually I'll concede and agree it's a bug. Wikipedia says "A software bug is an error, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways. Most bugs arise from mistakes and errors made by people in either a program's source code or its design"

 

So it's a bug in design rather than implementation.

 

Regards

 


I did look into the reasons, but would take some time to go through the text books etc.

Something to do with the data bus and utilisation of the stack. 

Remember the Intel 8080 and 8086?

The latter was fooled into behaving as 16 bit, although it was only 8 bit.

Not worth taking too much time.

 In reality the average user would not reach the 32 bit limit, if the hub reboots every 14 days, as mine does!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
2,654 Views
Message 119 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

Hi,

 

Just want to add that I've had an absolute nightmare of a time since 'upgrading' from HH5 to the SmartHub about 2 weeks ago:

 

Work computers will not connect via VPN, which previously did on HH5

Sporadic connection issues with all other hardware in our house - iPad, iPhones, AppleTV, PC and MacBook, all of which sometimes connect, sometimes don't, sometimes say they are connected but with no internet access.

 

No workarounds have proved useful - tried splitting the networks, made matters worse. Factory reset works for a few days but never for the VPN requiring hardware. 

 

Really wish I hadn't returned the HH5 and could roll back. I'm having to run a different suppliers 4G dongle to use my work computer at the moment.

 

any ETA on fixing these issues?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
2,540 Views
Message 120 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

HH6 Firmware: SG4B100021F4

 

Mine will not remember device choices for static ip's or dhcp as has been mentioned before on this thread.

 

Any idea when this will be fixed?

0 Ratings