cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nigelg
Contributor
Message 291 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

I may be tempting fate, but yesterday I phoned BT as I was fed up with my HH6 rebooting and its WiFi hanging up (mainly on 2.4GHz). The person I spoke to said that my WiFi was not configured well, and that I should change my channels (which were on auto selection) to 11 (for 2.4GHz) and 44 (for 5 GHz). She did not know why, but said that was what she had been trained to say. She also ordered me a replacement hub just in case, because of the reboots. Well, I may not have left it long enough yet, but have had no hang-ups or reboots since then! If that has fixed it then I guess there must be a design flaw which causes the WiFi (on some channels) to interfere with the internal hub electronics. I thought I should post this info in case it helps anyone else, but of course it may start playing up again any time. This sort of defect would also explain why some hubs may work better than others, simply because they have auto-selected different WiFi channels. Fingers crossed. I will post an update when it has either proven more stability, or flaked out again!
0 Ratings
nigelg
Contributor
Message 292 of 763

Oh maybe I should also mention that I have the BTWifi with Fon disabled via opting out.
0 Ratings
Cjd-1
Contributor
Message 293 of 763

How do you opt out please?

0 Ratings
nigelg
Contributor
Message 294 of 763

Go to www.bt.com/btfon and it tells you there. It claims to take a couple of days to filter through, but sometimes doesn't seem to happen at all.
When you opt out, they say you can no longer use the hotspots, but at present I am still able to do so. I only tried opt out to see if it had any effect on the problems I was having.
0 Ratings
Hazy1980
Aspiring Contributor
Message 295 of 763

My hub6A firmware updated on the 30 October and since have had several random reboots.
This morning the hub was stuck on an orange light for over 10 mins before it turned blue and the hub manager would not load with chrome reporting the page as unresponsive!

Eventually it worked but just got home and see the unit rebooted itself around 6 hours ago at 16:15
with the following in the log before and after:

00:01:32, 01 Jan.
Default:Firewall change to Level: FRWL
wl0:(0/36) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated
wl1:(0/1) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated
00:01:31, 01 Jan.
:The Modem has successfully powered up
00:01:19, 01 Jan.
:WAN: ethernet as LAN
16:14:40, 01 Nov.
:The LAN DHCP Server is inactive
16:14:23, 01 Nov.
:The LAN DHCP Server is active
16:14:23, 01 Nov.
wl0:Device <F4:F9:51:68:B5:04> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV5G])

Do I need to do anything to make it more stable?

0 Ratings
nigelg
Contributor
Message 296 of 763

I had similar log entries. As I posted at 10.41pm, try fixing WiFi to channels 11 and 44. Then do a save, and cycle the power as well. See if that helps.
0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 297 of 763

New to this forum but will share my experiences........

Bought a Smart Hub very early after they were released to get improvement in wireless range, speed and stability.

Within a few weeks had a battle with BT to get a replacement Smart Hub as it would not hold a connection on

5Ghz and 2.4Ghz was worse than 5A hub in stability. India initially would not sanction a replacement and

quote " we only deal with technical issues" (that's a joke if past experience is anything to go by!!)

As I paid for it after asking to be passed on up the chain got a grudging replacement.

This was initially no better but after updates from the original May firmware eventially got better such

that at least no worse than the Hub 5A (now on 2236 firmware). 5ghz still prone to disconnections.

Generally not impressed with BT as for a Communications they need to go on a course to understand the

true meaning of the word. Am told by end of this year 90% of support will be back in the UK...we can only

live in hope. They have been in denial of issues to date and still work on the principle people will fall for

the marketing hype. Our most reliable router yet!! In your dreams...

Very close to going the third party Router route but even the dearer £200+ ones have issues if you

read the on line reviews and don't want any more grief and frustation.. Generally needs are modest with

3 @ 2.4 and 3 @ 5Ghz devices (tv's, iPad's, DLNA media server attached).

Anyone recommend a router BT Infinity capable (one box)?

0 Ratings
kncowans
Contributor
Message 298 of 763

Hello all

My Smart Hub updated to the latest FW (SG4B10002236) on 28 October and I am still having issues with DHCP vs Static.

If I go into the Device Settings on the Smart Hub and select one of my Devices it says it is using DHCP and I am unable to change it to Static.

If I select 'Always use this IP address:', click on Save and then go back to the Devices screen the Device still shows as DHCP.

If I then go back in to the Device Settings for this Device it still says it is using DHCP.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 299 of 763

One irritation I have is with only about 4 other nearby routers (all Home hub 5's) if i choose a wireless

channel that is vacant (there generally is one available with no overlap) invariably an adjacent one which is also on a unique

channel with no other one's jumps to my channel (similar signal strength) leaving his/her channel vacant.

If I notice I move to the now vacant channel but low and behold the process repeats which is annoying.

I suspect the other BT routers are set to Smart Channel which in reality seems to want to migrate them to a

used channel and not as per the way it should work, i.e. selecting the least congested channel with the lowest signal

strength if more than one router is on the channel.  Another example of a BT feature (Smart Channel) that don't work ...was the same on the Hub 5A. Ain't BT just wonderful in designing a feature that works in reverse to it's intended functionality.

0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 300 of 763

I use a fixed channel by the way...maybe if I switched to Smart
Channel we could all play a game of continuous channel jumping!!!
0 Ratings