cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 341 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

I have had a hub 6 since May running on every version of the firmware released using multiple devices with NO problems of any type and I likewise know of other just the same including several regular posters on the forum
the only time I have had a dropped connection was when a firmware build was installed and one local power cut
0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 342 of 763

@john46 wrote:
I have had a hub 6 since May running on every version of the firmware released using multiple devices with NO problems of any type and I likewise know of other just the same including several regular posters on the forum
the only time I have had a dropped connection was when a firmware build was installed and one local power cut

So why is it that some people have no problems and others have major ones?  Are there different versions of the HH6, perhaps they are made in different factories with different components?

0 Ratings
Craggle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 343 of 763

@jaybeetoo wrote:

@john46 wrote:

So why is it that some people have no problems and others have major ones?  Are there different versions of the HH6, perhaps they are made in different factories with different components?

The people who work for BT have no problems. They got the real Smart Hubs and we got the Dumb Hubs.

0 Ratings
thos_tanner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 344 of 763

Let me see.

1 - My smart hub randomly decides to display things as having static IP addresses. Sometimes it appears that it has configured them like that, sometimes when you click on the dvice it says it's dynamic.
1a - When the smart hub has decied that something should be given a static IP address. it won't let me change it back to dynamic
2 - When selecting sort by name, I really don't expect the devices to appear in the order 1, 7, T, M, H, D, D, M ...
3 - The router displays the amount of data from random devices as "Nan undefined".

0 Ratings
RobertM
Contributor
Message 345 of 763

I don't work for BT and never have, and touch wood I don't have problems.

I run a SmartHub with a HH5 and Apple AirPort Extreme as remote access points, the Apple is hard wired directly to the SmartHub and the HH5 is connected  via TP-Link powerline adaptors. Software is the latest version downloaded in October.

I have both Apple and Microsoft devices connected either directly or in the case of phones and tablets on 5GHz. The only 2.4GHz devices are an iPod and a Kindle.

The Synology NAS connected has a static IP and the rest are left to their own devices. The access points are all seperate and all have different SSID's and passwords. WPS is off as is smart setup.

It all just works with no dropouts and steady speeds on all access points. The only comment I would make is I would like to see more channels available for WI-FI on the SmartHub on both bands especially 5GHz which here on the lower channels is quite crowded. The AirPort Extreme is out of the way on channel 100 and the HH5 on channel 124. The SmartHub battles with the nine other devices I can see on the lower channels.

As to why some users have no problems and others have major problems is something I can't really comment on.

0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 346 of 763

A friend with a very similar set up has asked me for advice on fixing dropouts

on 5Ghz and to a lesser extent 2.4 band after he followed my upgrade path

mainly to extend reliable wireless range without going the powerline route

and was a Hub 5 user but is now regretting it.

I have pointed him to this forum in the hope of information

that might be helpful but told him not to be too hopeful

especially with BT's lack of interest in fixing the issue

so far (based on their call centre 'in denial' responses

so far).

Lets hope they (BT) scan these forums and get their act together...

one can only live in hope. Even Moderators taking the issues

back up the BT organisation as  they appear to have

the ability to take on some issues would help although it does look

as if they stay away when the going gets tough.

Don't think closing this topic is a good idea as could look

as if the issues raised are resolved/gone away. Maybe if the

thread gets long enough someone will finally take note.

0 Ratings
RobertM
Contributor
Message 347 of 763

One thing I have done with my setup which I did not mention and that is I have set the channel manually on all access points except the Apple AirPort extreme on 5GHz. Auto is the only way I can get it to use channel 100 and above on 5GHz. That's not a problem as my two access points are the only ones I can see above channel 100, every other user is down on the 36-48 channels. As more kit comes up on the band then that could change, but we shall see.

I have over 45 accesspoints I can see on 2.4GHz and having played with a router set to auto shannel select it was on a constant move round to find the best channel. That led to a few drop outs on a regular basis, but those stopped when I manually selected a channel.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 348 of 763

@Craggle

I do not work for BT and never have done like another poster here RobertM we have not had any problems with the hub6 I have had mine since May and  had several firmware builds since then all with no problems

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 349 of 763

no there are not different versions of the hub all hubs currently come from the same source normally if a B version is released that comes from a different supplier but as there is currently not a B version of the hub 6 yet it does not apply
0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 350 of 763

I found Auto (Smart Channel) selection as perversly always moving me to the most

congested channel (by numner of users on that channel) and assuming interference

not an issue of no use in obtaining a more reliable connection.

Nearby users (also on Auto??) kept jumping to my channel so

ended up a pointless swopping of channels which never achieved anything

in real performance terms and I think just contributed to Wifi dropouts.

I do not believe the current 'Smart Channel' feature is anything more than

an ineffective non working gimick. I followed all the usual advice to eliminate

potential interference sources.

As I am surrounded by 4 users in a rural location each of the other users having

a low signal strength (-72db to -80db, my signal around -48 to -52db) even

if interference was an issue which I DOUBT why the unending jumping

around the limited available channels?

0 Ratings