Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 381 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

@fred2103 wrote:

What are the benefits of ipv6?

I thought it was just a system to extend the available internet addresses

as apparently with billions of users we are running out under ipv4.

I'd also assumed there would be no other 'improvements'

from this 'upgrade'.

As both ipv4 and ipv6 are enabled in the current software

can I assume there is nothing else to do with the settings.

As a bit of a novice in this area is anyone able to put me right?

Your HH6 manager page tellls you that IPV6 is available, if you wish to use it.

However, you can disable it's access to IPV6 in the settings.

Try it!

Interesting comment from the previous poster, though.

I haven't received the 223E update yet, although 2236 update still works well here.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 382 of 763

@mrangryoven wrote:

IPv6 doesnt provide a lot of benefits, however, im not sure if BT have implemented IPv6 like the US have but IPv4 here we use NAT (Network Address Translation) which gives all the devices in the local network the same EXTERNAL IP address. In the US IPv6 doesnt use NAT so each device has its own EXTERNAL IP address as theres a literal near infinite amount of addresses with IPv6, however im not sure if BT has implemented separate public addresses with their IPv6 (in other words, i havent checked before). However, if a site supports IPv6 (such as google) you may find that google pages may load quicker as not everyone is connecting using IPv6, you'll still connect to the same server but using a different protocol.

Im not exactly an expert in IPv6 either but thats what I believe to be the case.

In IPv6 there is no such thing as NAT so every device on your LAN has it's own Global Unicast Address.

The way BT work is that the Hub or third party router will request an IPv6 prefix when it connects e.g., 2a00:23c5:5500:d701::/64, and then all devices on your LAN will use an address from within that range.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 383 of 763

@mrangryoven wrote:

Yes I do, and the my main desktop PC has an IPv6 connection to the internet. It seems to be my laptop playing about a bit at the moment. I have found that the HH6 sometimes struggles to lease v6 addresses to 5Ghz clients with certain network adapters.

If you're using the default HH6 setup you'll be using what's called Stateless Address Auto Configuration (SLAAC) rather than DHCP.

What happens here is that the router tells the clients the /64 IPv6 prefix they should use i.e., the first 64-bits of the IPv6 address, and then the client will determine the last 64-bits themselves. With SLAAC the router doesn't assign or keep track of the addresses in use.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 384 of 763

Ahh right, okay thank you for that. I did not know that 🙂 I just assumed that IPv6 had some kind of auto leasing address system but i understand now. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 385 of 763

After getting a 2nd Smart Hub sent out because of this, and that being just as bad, I gave in and purchased a TP-Link VR900, and everyone in the house is happy again (most of all tech support in-residence ... me)

I do now have 2 Smart Hubs that are superflous to requirements ... if I could only get OpenWRT on them and use them as repeaters I'd be happy, but as that seems a long way off I hear the call of Ebay in my ear ...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 386 of 763

I read that the Hub 5 can have OpenWRT installed but sadly not the 6 yet which is annoying.

I wonder how long it will take until the OpenWRT Team make it available for Hub 6

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 387 of 763

On a thread entitled BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements, the suggestion to install OpenWRT. Excellent Smiley Very Happy

Difficult to say, but OpenWRT for the Hub 5 is only for the BT HomeHub 5.0 Type A. On the page it states "There is also a type B based on BCM63268, but for 802.11ac it uses the BCM4360 which has no open drivers, so it's a far less attractive target".

I guess the Hub 6 will be as equally unattractive as according to BT Smart Hub it's also based on Broadcom chips.

Regards

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 388 of 763

Running firmware SG4B100021F4, lasted updated 22nd June 2016 and the option to rescan Wifi channels is no longer there.

Also curious as to why my Hub has not updated since June?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 389 of 763

Anyone found the 'Back' button doesn't work or very reluctant to work

on the BT Hub Manager.

Can be overcome by selecting the section to go to but a bit annoying.

After a few days 2.4 Ghz seems to be fairly solid with a tad more

Download speed and not as variable as before (touch large chunk of wood).

5Ghz a bit flaky but not as bad as earlier firmware's.

Still drops out or 'Can't find network' on occasions.

Don't tell BT this as they might rest on their very small laurels

more than they do now!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 390 of 763

Another BT Hub Manager issue....when I 'Save' a Channel change it

often reports  'Channel change has not been saved' or similar

but in each case the Channel change HAS been saved.

0 Ratings