Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 521 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

@jaybeetoo wrote:

@Poppy7 wrote:

I didn't have to set static settings with hub 5 but have had to do it with a couple of devices with the smart hub. Have had problems since October firmware update. I haven't split the frequencies on my second smart hub, doing it on the first hub I had caused all sorts of problems.

Mode 2 worked for me

Doesn't Mode2 reduce the range of the hub? 

0 Ratings
ianmc_uk
Beginner
Message 522 of 763

@ianmc_uk wrote:

@ianmc_uk wrote:

I'm having your exact problem too Wyvern.

A week or so ago, devices using DHCP just stopped being assigned IP addresses.

Multiple factory resets, and even a replacement BT Smart Hub later, the same problem happened as soon as the router's firmware was updated to SG4B10002244.

This is particularly annoying as it isn't possible to set up static IP addresses on all devices, such as the Chromecast.

Six days after reporting this back to BT, their only solution is to replace the Smart Hub again.

Of course, this is going to have the same problem - it'll work for a day, get updated to SG4B10002244 and fail again.

Trying to get BT to understand there is a firmware problem causing DHCP issues with SG4B10002244 is impossible.

I am now on my third BT Smart Hub. They work perfectly fine until the enforced firmware update from SG4B100021EC to SG4B10002244, when DHCP stops working. They do not have a clue regarding resolving this problem - any suggestion of escalating the issue to whoever writes their firmware is met with silence.

At a loss as to what to do next.

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 523 of 763

@ianmc_uk wrote:

I am now on my third BT Smart Hub. They work perfectly fine until the enforced firmware update from SG4B100021EC to SG4B10002244, when DHCP stops working. They do not have a clue regarding resolving this problem - any suggestion of escalating the issue to whoever writes their firmware is met with silence.

At a loss as to what to do next.

I think the answer is (1) return the Smart Hub for refund (if you paid for it) on the grounds that it isn't fit for purpose; (2) go back to a HH5 if you have one and are happy with it; or (3) buy third party equipment to use instead. I think (3) is generally regarded as the best option.

p

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 524 of 763

Unfortunately until BT fix the firmware there are only a couple of options:

- Start a DHCP server on an alternate platform e.g., Rapsberry Pi, NAS etc., and disable DHCP on the Hub

- Go back to a previous Hub e.g., HH5 if you have one

- Get a third party router

Regards

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 525 of 763

@smf22 wrote:

Unfortunately until BT fix the firmware there are only a couple of options:

The trouble is, of course, that BT appear to have been trying to fix the firmware since June, with at least five new versions so far. Unfortunately, a number of people seem to be finding that the problems get worse rather than better.

p

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 526 of 763

@prinknash wrote:
The trouble is, of course, that BT appear to have been trying to fix the firmware since June, with at least five new versions so far. Unfortunately, a number of people seem to be finding that the problems get worse rather than better.

Agreed. And I was one of those that has ditched the hub 6 because it became progressively worse.

And it seems there are more updates on the way due to incompatability between the Hub 6 and the BT Whole Home WiFi as per message 20 of the post Smart Hub & Whole Home WiFi.

Regards

0 Ratings
mike82
Aspiring Contributor
Message 527 of 763

My issue with dhcp has gone away on firmware SG4B1000223E (26/11) it is working. I have had the same hub, I did change back to a hub5 for a short time, but hen back to it,

I doubt the firmware has been down graded, so not sure why it has gone away?

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 528 of 763

@Poppy7 wrote:

@jaybeetoo wrote:

@Poppy7 wrote:

I didn't have to set static settings with hub 5 but have had to do it with a couple of devices with the smart hub. Have had problems since October firmware update. I haven't split the frequencies on my second smart hub, doing it on the first hub I had caused all sorts of problems.

Mode 2 worked for me

Doesn't Mode2 reduce the range of the hub? 

Yes, but if it keeps you connected.......  I found I could switch it back to mode 1 after a few weeks and all was well again.

It is not the most reliable and stable modem/router - it suffers from mood swings.

0 Ratings
skinnymat
Beginner
Message 529 of 763

Picked up a bt hub 6 yesterday and installed in 20 minutes and so far not had any problems at all with it. 

The thing is the firmware is SG4B100021F4 and it was updated in June 2016. I dont want it to be upodated after hearing the horror stories on here. 

Is there a way to stop the update?

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 530 of 763

Afraid not. BT will push new code to it at some point.

0 Ratings