cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mw8811
Aspiring Contributor
Message 531 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

Best thing I ever did was to get the VR900 I can turn on the computer and everything works - so refreshing after all the wailing and gnashing over the Hub 6.    

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 532 of 763

If you purchased your Home Hub as an upgrade product, or if it came as part of a contract which was paid in full until its conclusion, then the device belongs to you and and you should be able to block any unwanted firmware from being installed on it, or to reflash back to an earlier version if the update was accidental and/or detrimental.

Also, it must be possible to disable the remote TR069 access to your equipment once it belongs to you. If not, there is probably legal recourse to be had.

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 533 of 763

@MorgaineD wrote:

If you purchased your Home Hub as an upgrade product, or if it came as part of a contract which was paid in full until its conclusion, then the device belongs to you and and you should be able to block any unwanted firmware from being installed on it, or to reflash back to an earlier version if the update was accidental and/or detrimental.

Also, it must be possible to disable the remote TR069 access to your equipment once it belongs to you. If not, there is probably legal recourse to be had.

I agree that if you've purchased the HH6 it belongs to you but I think the rest of what you say is mistaken. As I understand it, when you sign up to BT Broadband/Infinity you agree to participate in what BT consider to be a fully managed service, as part of which BT will access your HH6 whenever it chooses and make whatever changes it chooses to the configuration, including amending the firmware.

Many of us consider that state of afairs to be undesirable which is why we use third party modem/routers.

p

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 534 of 763

See Link Para 18 (k) and Para 23 re changing software etc on hubs.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 535 of 763

@gg30340 wrote:

See Link Para 18 (k) and Para 23 re changing software etc on hubs.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

Indeed.

Although you could say it would be more realistic if BT explicitly reserved the right to replace properly working hub firmware at any time with versions which have been poorly designed and insufficiently tested, thereby breaking equipment which was previously working satisfactorily. Smiley Happy

p

MorgaineD
Expert
Message 536 of 763

@prinknash: The T&C's make it very clear that the "Equipment" (which includes the Home Hub) belongs to you once fully paid for, unlike the very different "BT Owned Equipment" (defined at the end under Definitions) which always belongs to BT, such as the phone line, socket, or Openreach router.

Although you agree to BT operating your Equipment and upgrading its firmware to improve it (this is explained in T&Cs), it DOES NOT include vandalizing it with broken firmware which isn't fixed for months on end. The equipment is yours after all, and destructive changes to your property are not part of the agreement.

0 Ratings
gl3n
Aspiring Contributor
Message 537 of 763

Well my HH6 went down last night. Called today and they are sending a HH5 as HH6 are no longer available.

Initially sending HH6 but called back to tell me now HH5. New HH due out in a few months due to many, many HH6 manufacturing issues. Mine was fine until last night, just would do nothing but flash lights at me, plugged in HH5 (spare) and instantly worked!

Anyway, he's hoping new hub in a few months sorts this, was told I would get on as I did say I had upgraded to this one and did not want to go backwards.

So looks like BT are sorting this out.
0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 538 of 763

> "they are sending a HH5 as HH6 are no longer available."

Well that's consistent with what the old timers here have been saying for months, that HH6 is faulty firmware on top of unreliable hardware, and is not worth wasting further time on. Perhaps BT has finally seen the wisdom in that advice.
0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 539 of 763

Smart Hubs are still available to buy on the BT website though.

0 Ratings
gl3n
Aspiring Contributor
Message 540 of 763

Well i was initially told HH6 and the order went through so we ended the call.

He called me back to say he had an email from whoever received the order to say they were no longer sending HH6 replacements out.

He mentioned manufacturing issues which tends to agree with the comment above.

Anyway I hope they sort out what seems to be quite an issue. I was pretty happy with mine when it was working.
0 Ratings