cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 28

Re: Smart Hub not fit for purpose - neither is BT's "technical support"

Home hubs seem to be going backward. I an on ADSL and still use the original home hub 1. No problems connecting any device to it, and the last time I tried the wireless (most devices hard wired or on a separate WAP for security), it had a good range because the home hub 1 has an external wireless aerial. Its a bit ugly looking so its in a cupboard under the phone.

Even the BT Voyager range, before the home hubs, worked very well, apart from them getting very hot.

I think in general, the original Infinity setup with a separate VDSL modem, was probably the best. People could then choose almost any wireless router to use, if they did not want to use the home hub.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 28

I paid an optional £50 charge for the Smart Hub - it seemed like a reasonable enough idea at the time as I knew I'd need a new one.

Your comment below entirely sums up my experience of dealing with BT so far. I don't doubt they will keep replacing it, however I don't think it ever will be fixed, so they're just banking on the customer getting bored and giving up. What I've encountered so far has absolutely been an example of this type of "war of attrition"-based customer "service" - repeat the same nonsense over and over until the customer is frustrated and annyoed beyond their threshold, and gives up. Onto the next call, and repeat...

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 28

So it seems Keith - most people are reporting that reverting to HH5 fixes the issues they're having. I wasn't offered that option, however - it was HH6 or persist with a broken one.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 14 of 28

@morocco1 wrote:

I paid an optional £50 charge for the Smart Hub - it seemed like a reasonable enough idea at the time as I knew I'd need a new one.

Your comment below entirely sums up my experience of dealing with BT so far. I don't doubt they will keep replacing it, however I don't think it ever will be fixed, so they're just banking on the customer getting bored and giving up. What I've encountered so far has absolutely been an example of this type of "war of attrition"-based customer "service" - repeat the same nonsense over and over until the customer is frustrated and annyoed beyond their threshold, and gives up. Onto the next call, and repeat...

^^^^^ This .... !!

For a while, I ended up without a SmartHub (or any BT Hub) because they had 'approved' me sending it back for a refund, sent out a return kit and then refused the refund as it was "outside the 14 day cooling off period".

Only thanks to the mods here who picked up on my rant that a refund was arranged. Getting daily phone calls from the offshore call centre was starting to wear us down as the only concern to them was to close the complaint. Thank god that has also ceased as I had almost decided to put the 0800 number in my Truecall blocker.

I'm £70 poorer ( than if I'd kept the £50 SmartHub) as I bought and installed a 3rd party router, but what price on peace and a working network?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 28

Which router did you eventually purchase, out of interest?

I'm looking at a few now, I'd like to get one with the modem / router combined functionality as I'm not interested in using the BT device in any capacity, even in router only mode - but I do notice that its range and speeds are impressive (even if I can't do much with them).

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 16 of 28

There is no "14 day cooling off period" for purchased equipment. We have consumer protection laws in this country, and if an item of equipment is not fit for its declared purpose, it can be returned at any time for a refund throughout the statutory warranty period of 1 year.

UK companies can't make up their own laws on a whim.

Service contracts are different, but here we're talking about a simple item of equipment purchased as an upgrade I believe.

If in doubt, there is probably some .gov.uk site with full information on this, but it's common knowledge.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 17 of 28

@MorgaineD wrote:

There is no "14 day cooling off period" for purchased equipment. We have consumer protection laws in this country, and if an item of equipment is not fit for its declared purpose, it can be returned at any time for a refund throughout the statutory warranty period of 1 year.

They may have been confusing themselves over the 2014 Consumer Contracts Regulations. I'm far from expert but my understanding is that those Regulations (which replaced the old Distance Selling Regulations) contain the right to cancel an order 'made at a distance' within 14 days.

I'm sure you're right, though, that there are other avenues where a device isn't fit for purpose.

p

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 18 of 28

@MorgaineD wrote:

UK companies can't make up their own laws on a whim.

Service contracts are different, but here we're talking about a simple item of equipment purchased as an upgrade I believe.

If in doubt, there is probably some .gov.uk site with full information on this, but it's common knowledge.

You may find this useful:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act?gclid=CInFyLil-NACFeGd7QodAxEA...

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 19 of 28

@Dippu wrote:
You may find this useful:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act?gclid=CInFyLil-NACFeGd7QodAxEA...

Interesting.

I've only glanced at the link but wondered if there's a potential problem with the HH6 and the 'After 6 months ..' provisions. Some of the very early adoptors will have had their HH6 for 6 months now, so the onus (if I've read this right) is on them to demonstrate that the product was faulty at the time of delivery. In many cases, however, a product which may have been okay at the start subsequently went wrong as new firmware was applied to it. It seems to me the consumer should be protected in circumstances where a product was okay to begin with but the seller subsequently broke it, even if unwittingly!

It seems, anyway, that BT are happy to go beyond the requirement to replace goods once, given the nuimber of people who've apparently received two, three, or in a couple of reported cases, four replacement HH6s!

p

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 20 of 28

I'm fortunate enough to have only a HH5, so my broadband has been fine except whenever BT breaks something out at the cabinet --- that's happened twice now, with outages of a week each time. They really are poor at this.

But I'm amazed that HH6 has been giving the community so much trouble for 2+ months without major repercussions. It's only a matter of time before some HH6 owner calls Watchdog ...
0 Ratings