Did you mean: 
sanctimon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT Smart Hub Local Network issues

Hi all,

I set up my new Smart Hub last week.

I have done the following:

1. I have set up a custom IP range for the devices at home and the Hub itself as a gateway.

2. I have assigned some devices permanent IP addresses.

from the beginning I have had the following issues:

i. I cannot access shared folders between computers on the network. The computer can be seen under the Windows Network view, but when double-clicked, it times out. The computers can be pinged successfully, and their media servers are all working nicely, but accessing files fails.

ii. I cannot remote desktop devices.

iii. I cannot join multiplayer Civ 5 sessions. The session is visible, but when attempting to join, there is an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Smart Hub Local Network issues

What was wrong with the default range? You can still set static IP adresses outside of the DHCP range, but within the same subnet, and just leave DHCP to handle any roaming devices.

Changing the subnet and scope of DHCP, causes issues on all of the home hubs, and is best left alone.

0 Ratings
sanctimon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

I always change a router/gateway's default IP range as a matter of course and for added security. I have seen that there have been problems reported with the 10.*** range, as it is used for BT Wifi, but I have not had significant problems with my chosen range and pretty much everything else in the house works fine, including the printer, which has also been assigned a static IP, family controlled devices, which have access restrictions after specific times and gaming consoles.

The problem shows only between Windows based PCs.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

@sanctimon wrote:

I always change a router/gateway's default IP range as a matter of course and for added security.

How does changing the IP address range used on your local LAN increase security? This address range is never seen by anyone outside of your LAN.

Did the connectivity between the Windows PC work previously before you added the Home Hub 6? There should be nothing on the Hub that would stop local connectivity as it's simply a switch.

Does the Windows firewall policy allow the connectivity?

Regards