cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlmclaren94
Contributor
Message 1 of 211

BT Smart Hub - Wi-Fi Issues

So had the new Smart Hub (HH6a) since Thursday and having 'a lot' of issues with wireless dropping out every few minutes...

Not narrowed down if its related to a single band or complete failure or even if its just selct devices but my iPhone 6 is losing signal with the Hub every few minutes and others in the household have reported major battery loss issues on their devices which have been diagnosed down to wifi issues...

One of the devices (Android Phone) has been having battery iusage issues few last couple of days now and was getting extremly warm, today it has been found to be due to the wifi working overtime to keep connected...

Since disabling wifi on the device and relying solely on 4G the issue has stopped.

My iPhone has also lost a significant ammount of power (40-50%) since arriving back from work a couple of hours ago....

I though maybe band steering was the problem but it is disabled, I'm not quite sure what else to do.

I suppose they forgot to mention the stronger signal would be an intermittent one 😞 

0 Ratings
210 REPLIES 210
mlmclaren94
Contributor
Message 2 of 211

Re: BT Smart Hub - Wi-Fi Issues

UPDATE - May have tracked it down to the 2.4Ghz band... I've now seperate the two bands and having difficulties connecting the the 2G one, I've also been using a free version of Acrylic Wi-Fi to monitor and been noticing sudden drops in the signal.

Example: Black/Grey is HH6.

HH6a_2g_WiFi_Drops.jpg

0 Ratings
Evil_Dan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 211

I've seen this exact same thing running a Speedtest on the 2.4GHz network where it repeatedly drops to nothing then back up.  The 5GHz network seems to be rock solid though.  This is in addition to the issues I am having with failing to allocate IP addresses to some devices.

Sorry BT but the Smart Hub isn't very "smart".

Checked2013
Expert
Message 4 of 211

From that graph it looks like there is interference from a neighbouring wireless network

0 Ratings
mlmclaren94
Contributor
Message 5 of 211

@Checked2013 wrote:

From that graph it looks like there is interference from a neighbouring wireless network

Well yes, there's always been interference on 2.4Ghz..... however all my other routers coped ok with that and they didn't have any fancy "Smart WiFi" and "Interference Protection"....

Anyway, the interference isn't that great, the most congested channel was 11 and that was due to my lable printer getting disconnected from the network during a Hub rebbot and it reverting to stock setup where it broadcasts and wifi network.

channels 1 and 6 where faily clear, atleast at close range anyway, however still the same issues...

Also note it was way after middnight when I was running these tests.... not exactly a busy time for wifi...

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 211

@mlmclaren94 wrote:

@Checked2013 wrote:

Well yes, there's always been interference on 2.4Ghz..... however all my other routers coped ok with that and they didn't have any fancy "Smart WiFi" and "Interference Protection"....

Anyway, the interference isn't that great, the most congested channel was 11 and that was due to my lable printer getting disconnected from the network during a Hub rebbot and it reverting to stock setup where it broadcasts and wifi network.

channels 1 and 6 where faily clear, atleast at close range anyway, however still the same issues...

Also note it was way after middnight when I was running these tests.... not exactly a busy time for wifi...

I noted something in your comment re your other hubs did not have smart wifi.

Have you tried disabling smart wifi?....and fixing  to a specific 2.4GHz channel, either 1 or 6?

Checked2013
Expert
Message 7 of 211

@mlmclaren94 wrote:

@Checked2013 wrote:

With such limited number of channels for 2.4Ghz there is little chance that having a smart setup will be able to do anything with that amount of wireless networks covering your area.

It would only matter what time of night you did the tests if the owners of the other wifi networks turned them off as wireless signals still get transmitted and received when the wireless routers are powered up.

0 Ratings
mlmclaren94
Contributor
Message 8 of 211

@check2013 - regardless if anything above other hubs and many other wireless routers don't have the same issues...

Anyway putting the **bleep** WiFi aside, the web interface is shocking, consistently crashes the hub, the hub seems to keep rebooting and then getting stuck on boot.

BT better be getting a firmware update out in the next week or they can sort out a refund.... They've had since May after all!
0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 9 of 211

@mlmclaren94 wrote:
@check2013 - regardless if anything above other hubs and many other wireless routers don't have the same issues...

Anyway putting the **bleep** WiFi aside, the web interface is shocking, consistently crashes the hub, the hub seems to keep rebooting and then getting stuck on boot.

BT better be getting a firmware update out in the next week or they can sort out a refund.... They've had since May after all!

I've had my smarthub for a week and a bit and have found no boot issues, the only time it did a re-boot was for a firmware update.

As for the wifi issues, the graph you posted speaks for itself, which is too many wifi networks on the 2.4Ghz band, maybe 5Ghz would be better for you as there are more channels

0 Ratings
mlmclaren94
Contributor
Message 10 of 211

Well this discussion seems to be going on like a broken record...

Regardless of how many wifi networks there are and bare in mine that those networks signals are very week compared to mine and even mine was being taken from a few rooms closer to other networks (So less in room with Hub) other wireless router coped fine with the neighbours.... SO BT NEED TO CHANGE ADVERTISING OR FIX PROBLEM....

Also 5Ghz is much better but just as congested.... bare in mind that BT's hubs only use 36 - 48, even though the 5 did have the option to 'try' 52-64 and 100+ though often gave up.... smart wifi has never gone above 48 and the problem with that is AC using 80mhz is using all 4 of those channels so essentially there's only 1 channel for everyone..... its just not as bigf a problem as theirs much more breathing space...

So thats also something BT need to address!

So lets stop trying to placate the hubs issues or else nothing will get done to fix the problems seen by many others.

0 Ratings