Message 141 of 211

Re: BT Smart Hub - Wi-Fi Issues

LOL i feel your sentiments exactly
0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 142 of 211

So many posts I have not gone through them all and posted a similar question as I had not found this thread.

Although not curing the problem completely I changed the wireless mode to 2 and I seem to get far less problems with 2.4.

Despite the warnings I have not noticed any loss of signal strength or speed.

0 Ratings
cheznous
Aspiring Contributor
Message 143 of 211

The big problem with the Hub is that the nature of the problems differ with different users.
Myself I find the 2.4 signal is occasionall unusable for those portable items that log on periodically.
The only cure is to restart the hub which does not do much good for your speed if you do it too often.
Main trigger appears to be after any significant downloading.
Hub cannot then give the item a useable IP address.
In summary it is pretty shocking BT sell such a poor product.
My advice would be use the Hub 5 or as in my case an alternate netgear router.
And yes BT help is one of the worst available. If it is not on their script you may as well be speaking Martian.
0 Ratings
Pintu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 144 of 211

I have now replaced the Smart Hub with an old Openreach Modem and a Netgear R7000. This is soooo much better. I can only recommend replacing the abomination of a router that BT supply. 

(The R7000 supports BT IPTV Channels).

cheznous
Aspiring Contributor
Message 145 of 211

So I tried my smart hub again. Did an up date over night .
Weird thing is says update 28 Nov and this was on 26th Nov.
Get this though , broadband speed (not wireless) gone up by 12 Mbps to 67mbps and WiFi issues resolved for the moment.
What did BT do?
Please please don't change
0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 146 of 211

Have stuck with the Smart Hub (it don't deserve it) through all the firmware uddates and there

have been more than a few with no success (currently on 02244 firmwasr dated 28th Nov).

issues with disconnections and 'Can't find networks' on both bands remain with no

improvement in site.

My needs are modest as I do not have much to connect to (2 TV'S, Sky box. i iPad)

so the Smart Hub is not technically challenged.

Somewhat caught in the loop of living with it in the hope the next firmware update will fix it

and having to keep it in place to achieve this..

Now rapdidly coming to the decision to jump ship. Have scanned the web for solutions to try

to fix issues and none have produced any improvenent (seperate named bands, switch off 'Smart'

functions etc....).

Any one recommend a one box third party Router/Modem solution for Infinity 1 that works reliably?

TP-Link, Netgear appear to be the middle range price band products with reasonable reviews, but don't

want to open another can of worms as all products seem to have a small but significant base

of users having 'Wifi' problems with them.

Looked at a TP-LINK VR900 and VR2600 both of which get 'goodish' reviews.

Must be no more than £200 and at least have an option to do a 'smart set' up for someone with

only modest experience and know how.

No option to leave BT completely as live in a small rural community (4 nearby users) with no other ISP

available. I would switch if I could!!

Any advice appreciated.

0 Ratings
Pintu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 147 of 211

If you are using BT IPTV (BT Sports etc) you must use a router that supports IGMP proxying. Netgear R7000 and Asus RC68U support this and are both stable, feature rich routers that have been out for a while. Both are available as router only or with integrated modem (I use the R7000 router with an old Openreach Modem).

Amazon has the ASUS DSL-AC68U on sale for £110, which seems to be a very good offer. I can't comment on TP-Link.

0 Ratings
Message 148 of 211

@fred2103 wrote:

Have stuck with the Smart Hub (it don't deserve it) through all the firmware uddates and there

have been more than a few with no success (currently on 02244 firmwasr dated 28th Nov).

issues with disconnections and 'Can't find networks' on both bands remain with no

improvement in site.

My needs are modest as I do not have much to connect to (2 TV'S, Sky box. i iPad)

so the Smart Hub is not technically challenged.

Somewhat caught in the loop of living with it in the hope the next firmware update will fix it

and having to keep it in place to achieve this..

Now rapdidly coming to the decision to jump ship. Have scanned the web for solutions to try

to fix issues and none have produced any improvenent (seperate named bands, switch off 'Smart'

functions etc....).

Any one recommend a one box third party Router/Modem solution for Infinity 1 that works reliably?

TP-Link, Netgear appear to be the middle range price band products with reasonable reviews, but don't

want to open another can of worms as all products seem to have a small but significant base

of users having 'Wifi' problems with them.

Looked at a TP-LINK VR900 and VR2600 both of which get 'goodish' reviews.

Must be no more than £200 and at least have an option to do a 'smart set' up for someone with

only modest experience and know how.

No option to leave BT completely as live in a small rural community (4 nearby users) with no other ISP

available. I would switch if I could!!

Any advice appreciated.

Presumably you have tried a factory reset and reconfigure from square 1.

Smart setup isn't so smart, so you have to disable it and follow guidelines from other posts.

Also you may find that setting up through an ethernet connection helps, then revert to wireless.

Other than that the TP-LINK  VDSL modem routers seem to shine out of their output ports at the moment Smiley Indifferent

Seems that some of them don't do IPV6 though. This seems to be the up and coming "must have" for the future.

0 Ratings
mbdmbd
Beginner
Message 149 of 211

I simply bought a tp-link wifi hub from amazon for 25 pounds and connected it to the bt hub. All my devices that struggle to connect to BT's pile of...... Rubbish... Now just connect to the tp-link which gets it's internet connection over the cable from the hh. Very annoying that I've had to do this - but I can plug the tp link into my next isp's hub and won't need to change all my wiifi devices. Which I'll do as soon as I can get out of the **bleep** bt contract - please consider doing the same if you read this - BT do NOT deserve our money.
0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 150 of 211

Fred - no problem with Wi-fi on my TP-Link VR600.

However: have a look at the current thread on here entitled "IPv6 on TP-Link TD-W9980". As you'll see from the last couple of pages, there seem to be serious doubts about whether TP-Link modems/routers will ever support IPv6 as implemented by BT (and other UK ISPs).

p

0 Ratings