Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 161 of 211

Re: BT Smart Hub - Wi-Fi Issues

Although they do not support native IPv6 the TP Link routers do support IPv6 tunnelling. I would hope that once they realise their products dont work with BT's (and other ISPs) implementation of IPv6, they will develop new firmware.

0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 162 of 211

Thanks for update on Mods role ..didn't know that.

Every little helps with BT. Was July when Mod committed to report

back so wheels work slow then.

0 Ratings
Pintu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 163 of 211

That's pretty much the issue that has been discussed on the last 17 pages. Bottom line: BT supply a faulty product, there is no way to fix this at the moment. Only solution is to use a different router.

0 Ratings
impster
Contributor
Message 164 of 211

Our hh6 lasted all of 4 days before regularly rebooting itself every night around 9pm. It would take up to 3 hours before establishing a stable connection. 

Seems it's a common fault then! 

I'm waiting a replacement hh6 in the next couple of days. 

Oh joy.

How are BT getting away with sending out faulty equipment and getting away with their awful customer service!!????? 

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 165 of 211

@impsterasks:
> "How are BT getting away with sending out faulty equipment and getting away with their awful customer service!!?????"

I suppose it's been too long since they were last reported to BBC Watchdog, so there is currently no negative feedback at a high enough level to have any effect on BT management.

Back in 2014, BT Infinity seems to have got reported for delays and for poor broadband speeds, but that long predated the appearance of Home Hub 6 / Smart Hub: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3NmlhklHhkqSyPvqL1nkbSw/bt-infinity

Whether a Watchdog investigation would have any effect on bringing the HH6 nightmare seen on this forum to an end is anybody's guess. What is probably needed is the customer's ability to roll back unstable firmware to older, more stable versions. Without that, BT's single perfect "fix" always lies at the end of the development rainbow, and so never comes.

It was an extremely unwise engineering decision to remove that customer option from Home Hubs, unhelpful for customers and unhelpful for BT's ability to deliver customer satisfaction by successive approximation.  It's all or nothing, and hence it's been nothing for months.

0 Ratings
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 166 of 211

watchdog is a waste of time (you only have to look at the appaling piece they did on broadband), the current viewing figures place it at 3.83m viewers, which places it 29th out of the 30 top bbc1 (sd+hd) shows. the 10 oclock news beat it in viewing figures.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/11/bbc-tv-show-watchdog-tackle-broadband-isp-speeds.html

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/weekly-top-30/

I firmly belive that the problems with the hub6 will be fixed in time, just look at tp-link, thier new routers are renowned for buggy firmware.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 167 of 211

@AndyCoffin: Your post above does nothing to help BT customers experiencing problems.

You start off by saying that Watchdog is a waste of time because it has low viewing figures.  Why would a programme that deals with poor products or services ever have high viewing figures?  It's not intended as entertainment but as consumer pressure and feedback.  Any entertainment value is entirely incidental, and the only thing that matters is that an investigation is carried out and that adverse results are notified publicly to the companies concerned.  It doesn't require prime-time placement nor high ratings for that to work.

And then you say "I firmly believe that the problems with the hub6 will be fixed in time", a remark founded in nothing but blind faith.  How about using evidence instead of blind faith?  The many months of evidence on this forum show HH6 problems continuing without clear signs of improvement.  The evidence suggests the opposite of what you say, namely that waiting for things to improve without applying public pressure is a waste of time.  Consumer TV programmes can help raise the urgency of the problem, even if you don't like them.

And speaking of urgency, your cavalier dismissal of the very severe problems that many customers are experiencing while paying BT full price is quite astonishing.  Clearly you don't care about their plight.  Well some of us do care, and that's why we're looking for ways to help them.  Telling them to wait an indefinite time without satisfactory service is not adequate.

0 Ratings
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 168 of 211

@MorgaineD

If you bother to look at my previous posts in both this and other forums you will see that i to suffer the wifi issue and am currently trying to find a soloution as well, as well as already takeing legal councel on the whole "supplying unfit equipment" thing.

bottom line is bt would not be allowed to send it out if it didnt do its job (tradeing standards and ofcom) and the bulk of the problems being reported are not with all smarthubs as there are people also in here reporting no issues at all so is it firmware issues (fixable once they know whats causeing the issue) or something else.

also did you watch the episode???? they dont even mention that fttc still uses copper from the cab to the home so if they get the basics of the service wrong then the rest of the "investigation" is suspect, also they report the fibre rollout being higher then the offical figures from both openreach and the goverment.

"blind faith"? hummmmmm every online device on the planet has issues, sky, virgin, bt, talk talk, plusnet. by your statement you hint that once a problem shows up then thats it. can i remind you of the last update to the gps system that broke it for about 3 hours but was fixed, or all the windows 10 issues that are slowly being fixed (the dns bug being the latest) or even every 3erd party router (netgears NEW routers being vunerable to the command injection bug as well as other providers) that has issues being fixed with firmware updates and tp-link routers not being compatible with sky MER authentication being fixed........ i suppose that thought is pure blind faith as well.

if the problem is so urgent then get another router god knows there is enough out there, if u bought it outright send it back, if you got it via contract then its more complecated but they will send you another or "lower" one if you speak to the right persion.

as for paying full price that is the way the world works. you dont get compensated for power/water cuts unless the service is cut for a set amount of time. you dont get money back from the dvla/insurance because your car is in the garage and so "off the road".

I pay sky a lot for my tv yet they spend my money on content i dont/never will watch (crapball)

Never mind we can agree to disagree.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 169 of 211

MorgaineD

To be fair to AndyCoffin, I really don't see how either of your posts are helping BT customers that are experiencing problems.

Watchdog is in my opinion primarily an entertainment program. Hence the reason it on at a peak time. If there is no mileage in the complaints they receive, they don't do anything with them.

I would have thought it would have been better to suggest to BT Customers that they write letters of complaint to the CEO of BT rather than to a TV entertainment program but that is only my opinion.

You said,

"Whether a Watchdog investigation would have any effect on bringing the HH6 nightmare seen on this forum to an end is anybody's guess. is that not blind faith. What is probably needed is the customer's ability to roll back unstable firmware to older, more stable versions.  Which older version is more stable? Some people have had absolutely no problems from day one with the Smarthub or with any versions of the updates while others have experienced problems with updates but not necessarily them all. Without that, BT's single perfect "fix" always lies at the end of the development rainbow, and so never comes.

It was an extremely unwise engineering decision to remove that customer option from Home Hubs, unhelp

ful for customers and unhelpful for BT's ability to deliver customer satisfaction by successive approximation."  There has never been an option to roll back firmware or self install and yes I am aware of this thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Homehub-5-type-A-firmware-download-URL-please/td...

The Homehub software interface may have that page, which is hidden and not generally viewable, but the ability to use that page/function has never to my knowledge been implemented on any of the Homehubs but I will happily stand corrected if you can produce the evidence that it has.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 170 of 211

@gg30340 wrote:

MorgaineD

The Homehub software interface may have that page, which is hidden and not generally viewable, but the ability to use that page/function has never to my knowledge been implemented on any of the Homehubs but I will happily stand corrected if you can produce the evidence that it has.

The home hub 1 was the only one which allowed you to update the firmware using a download from a BT website. Later versions disabled that option. I still have firmware files for my home hub 1 should I need to use them, I also keep a spare home hub 1 in case of failure Smiley Wink