Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Checked2013
Expert
Message 11 of 211

Re: BT Smart Hub - Wi-Fi Issues

@mlmclaren94 wrote:

Well this discussion seems to be going on like a broken record...

Regardless of how many wifi networks there are and bare in mine that those networks signals are very week compared to mine and even mine was being taken from a few rooms closer to other networks (So less in room with Hub) other wireless router coped fine with the neighbours.... SO BT NEED TO CHANGE ADVERTISING OR FIX PROBLEM....

Also 5Ghz is much better but just as congested.... bare in mind that BT's hubs only use 36 - 48, even though the 5 did have the option to 'try' 52-64 and 100+ though often gave up.... smart wifi has never gone above 48 and the problem with that is AC using 80mhz is using all 4 of those channels so essentially there's only 1 channel for everyone..... its just not as bigf a problem as theirs much more breathing space...

So thats also something BT need to address!

So lets stop trying to placate the hubs issues or else nothing will get done to fix the problems seen by many others.

Looking at your graph again there is 4 network signals that are not weak in signal strength and one of them is clearly interfering with your smarthub.

If you found that the hh5 was working better, then maybe go back to using that

0 Ratings
mlmclaren94
Contributor
Message 12 of 211

OK... let me break the graph for you...

Black Line: My Hub 6 2Ghz channel 11

Yellow Line: My Lable Printer Direct WiFi 2Ghz (Due to failed connection to Hub) Channel 1

Pink Line: My Hub 6 5Ghz Channel 36

Brown line: Neighbours Sky Hub on channel 6

Orange line: Neighbours TalkTalk hub on channel 4

Others are mishmash of BT Hubs and their respective BT Wifi & Wifi-x hotspots and also 2 Access points across the road at an office building which are very weak and again just one network with multiple SSID's so physically just one.

So now I've ironed any reason for any other networks to be interfering, what else have you to say...

Right now now I'm using my phone, because the hub can't cope with just me and my measly 5 devices using the wireless, everyone else is away for the week... whilst wireless is working nothing seems to be processing through the router and whilst I can still get access to the GUI its saying its not been up long...

Looks like BT will be sending me a new one... 

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 13 of 211

@mlmclaren94 wrote:

OK... let me break the graph for you...

Black Line: My Hub 6 2Ghz channel 11

Yellow Line: My Lable Printer Direct WiFi 2Ghz (Due to failed connection to Hub) Channel 1

Pink Line: My Hub 6 5Ghz Channel 36

Brown line: Neighbours Sky Hub on channel 6

Orange line: Neighbours TalkTalk hub on channel 4

Others are mishmash of BT Hubs and their respective BT Wifi & Wifi-x hotspots and also 2 Access points across the road at an office building which are very weak and again just one network with multiple SSID's so physically just one.

So now I've ironed any reason for any other networks to be interfering, what else have you to say...

Right now now I'm using my phone, because the hub can't cope with just me and my measly 5 devices using the wireless, everyone else is away for the week... whilst wireless is working nothing seems to be processing through the router and whilst I can still get access to the GUI its saying its not been up long...

Looks like BT will be sending me a new one... 

The most common channels are 1 / 6 / 11

That's because they are non overlapping channels

The main problem is that if you get lots of wireless networks in your area, these then suffer from interference

Even if you get a weak signal from other routers on channel 11 it can cause issues, especially with the amount of wireless networks that you are able to graph

As they say on Star Trek "You can't change the laws of physics Jim"

0 Ratings
mlmclaren94
Contributor
Message 14 of 211

I should of maybe said at the beginning of this thread that I'm a well experiance data and telecoms technician and part of that is wireless data networking, so please trust I know how wifi works and whats its strengths and weaknesses are and also what to expect in certain situations.

I respect that your saying theirs alot of networks in that graph linked but the graph should be taken too seriously, the graphs is showing all network 2G and 5G, it's also showing the networks by a SSID basis and an not per AP basis..

So many networks are virtual and coming of the same AP's and also the computer on which it is scanning for the networks is sat right in the window and a 2nd floor apartment over a high street.... 

The Hub however is situated on the otherside of the apartment where there is a lot less networks for it to get entangled in.

This being said however still doesn't clear up the fact that BT's previous gen hub, a TP-Link Archer C9 & VR900 and W8968v3 (2G Only) and also iPhone WiFi Tethering and also 2 differenty MiFi devices operate much better than BT's new and 'improved' samrt hub... a Hub that is supposed to have advanced capabilities at fighting interferance. 

I will update with a new graph soon.

0 Ratings
mlmclaren94
Contributor
Message 15 of 211

here @Checked2013

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 16 of 211

@mlmclaren94 wrote:

I should of maybe said at the beginning of this thread that I'm a well experiance data and telecoms technician and part of that is wireless data networking, so please trust I know how wifi works and whats its strengths and weaknesses are and also what to expect in certain situations.

I respect that your saying theirs alot of networks in that graph linked but the graph should be taken too seriously, the graphs is showing all network 2G and 5G, it's also showing the networks by a SSID basis and an not per AP basis..

So many networks are virtual and coming of the same AP's and also the computer on which it is scanning for the networks is sat right in the window and a 2nd floor apartment over a high street.... 

The Hub however is situated on the otherside of the apartment where there is a lot less networks for it to get entangled in.

This being said however still doesn't clear up the fact that BT's previous gen hub, a TP-Link Archer C9 & VR900 and W8968v3 (2G Only) and also iPhone WiFi Tethering and also 2 differenty MiFi devices operate much better than BT's new and 'improved' samrt hub... a Hub that is supposed to have advanced capabilities at fighting interferance. 

I will update with a new graph soon.

What I've been trying to tell you is that in your situation that the smarthub is not going to be the best solution. It's trial and error to see what works best for you.

For me, the new smarthub works perfect as I live in a semi-rural area, but get good Infinity speeds. This means that there is not many wireless networks around me and I can assess the Wi-Fi from a great distance when I'm outside, of which I could not do so well with the Hub5

0 Ratings
mlmclaren94
Contributor
Message 17 of 211

Sorry but it's not coming across that way, all I seem to be getting from you is that it's not BT's fault....

As you can see above there is one network within range of my computer that uses the same channel, this network doesn't even reach where the hub is located so it cannot be interfering with it, and my computer connects using ethernet so I'm desribing issues with wireless here.

Regardless I'm not discussing with you anymore as you seem not to be understanding of the problem or even in any sort of possition to understand as you live in the middle of knowwhere aparantly.

I also don't think you fully understand wifi networking.

It's funny also, whilst we've been wasting time on here I've already had many others on alternative forums tell me they have the same issues... and the best part is one person who told me of there problem actually does live in the middle of knowwhere.

Ciao.

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 18 of 211

@mlmclaren94 wrote:

Sorry but it's not coming across that way, all I seem to be getting from you is that it's not BT's fault....

As you can see above there is one network within range of my computer that uses the same channel, this network doesn't even reach where the hub is located so it cannot be interfering with it, and my computer connects using ethernet so I'm desribing issues with wireless here.

Regardless I'm not discussing with you anymore as you seem not to be understanding of the problem or even in any sort of possition to understand as you live in the middle of knowwhere aparantly.

I also don't think you fully understand wifi networking.

It's funny also, whilst we've been wasting time on here I've already had many others on alternative forums tell me they have the same issues... and the best part is one person who told me of there problem actually does live in the middle of knowwhere.

Ciao.

Most of the time people post on forums because they have an issue, sometimes it's re-freshing when you see someone post saying something positive 🙂

btw, thanks for the insults, hope you get your issue solved soon

0 Ratings
mlmclaren94
Contributor
Message 19 of 211

Positive notes:

Nice Design

Good Coverage (better than hh5)

Fast 5Ghz and LAN.

Good UPNP port forwarding

Nice to see profiling of each devices ports and usage.

DSL chipset seems to be much better than previous models.

Extra LED control also much appreciated.

Want to see:

DFS usage in 5Ghz 

usage of all channels 1 - 13 on 2Ghz band.

Faster GUI

Password Remebering For Advanced Settings.

more details on wireless modes 1-3

possibly others.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 211

You may have already done this but if not you should make sure that "smart set up" is turned off. It can cause problems with wireless devices that do not automatically "pop up" a browser page allowing you to go through the "smart set up" process.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

0 Ratings