cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Craggle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Smart Hub Worse Than Home Hub 5 For WiFi

So I have a Fire TV in the upstairs bedroom of a small house and wifi signal on the Fire TV has always been 'Fair' using a Home Hub 5. So the other day I see an advert of Mr Deadpool hanging from a helicopter and he was raving about how good his signal was as he was taken into the stratosphere. So I thought to myself, self, I need some of that Smart Hub, so I ordered one and it arrived today.

I swapped over the Home Hub 5 for the Smart Hub and changed the obligatory security settings. Wired connections are a lot faster but now my Fire TV wifi strength is now showing 'marginal' and even no connection. I've tried changing channels 1,6,11, I seperated the 2.4ghz and 5ghz and tried connecting to both of them but still worse than Home Hub 5.

So what now? Has Deadpool betrayed me?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Smart Hub Worse Than Home Hub 5 For WiFi

have you tried changing the mode from 1 to either 2 or 3

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Craggle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your reply. I forget to mention I did change the modes to 2 and 3 with no difference. I wasn't going to change them as it said something like, it would make the distance shorter but I did try it.

Slightly stunned that this brand new product that's meant to have a stronger wifi range is worse than my old Home Hub 5.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Yet I have been using hh6 for a few weeks and certainly find wireless stronger than hh5

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Craggle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

@imjolly wrote:

Yet I have been using hh6 for a few weeks and certainly find wireless stronger than hh5

Can I ask what channel and mode do you have it set to?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Currently fixed at channel 6 and 40 and mode 1

0 Ratings
Craggle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

@imjolly wrote:

Currently fixed at channel 6 and 40 and mode 1

Thanks, tried that already. If anybody has other ideas? it looks like I will be going back to Home Hub 5 as Smart Hub has less powerful range regards wifi for me.

0 Ratings
Dpleech
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

I have the same problem. My Fire TV is directly above the router on the next floor. 2.4ghz shows no signal, and 5ghz shows 1 bar. I also have a ps4 next to it which shows nearly full signal strength for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. This makes me think the Fire TV is at fault, as I have never been able to get a strong signal with it from my hh5.
0 Ratings
Craggle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

@Dpleech wrote:
I have the same problem. My Fire TV is directly above the router on the next floor. 2.4ghz shows no signal, and 5ghz shows 1 bar. I also have a ps4 next to it which shows nearly full signal strength for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. This makes me think the Fire TV is at fault, as I have never been able to get a strong signal with it from my hh5.

Dpleech it may well be the Fire TV but I would have thought if I was getting a 'fair' signal from the Home Hub 5 considering the Smart Hub is meant to have a stronger and better range I would expect the same or better signal not worse like it is now.

I even thought about buying the newer Fire TV with 4K  if it had updated the wifi strength so I asked Amazon if this was the case and they confirmed the 4K Fire TV has exactly the same wifi internals as the original Fire TV.

0 Ratings