Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emnov74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 37

BT Smart Hub denying access to android and laptop

Go to solution

Hi, I wonder if anyone has any other ideas to help me.

I have had BT infinity since September and a new smart hub and all has been great, until my daughter got a new phone.  She couldn't connect to the internet and then I found nor could my lap top.  I contacted BT and they reset the router. Fine all worked for a couple of days. Then it happened again.  After about 5 calls to bT, numerous router resets and turning on and off as well as splitting the signal, changing the channel and turning off smart hub still no joy. the phone and laptop only find the 2.4ghz channel (not the 5ghz whihc has a 5 at the end of the router name) and these are the ones with the problem.  My android phone, iphones and now tv all connect fine but all find the 5ghz channel.  

I am now at a loss. Bt did mention it could be a router fault but then another person says to just reset it again.  I have had to up my daughters data allowance.  The thing is she can connect to other non BT wifi and so can my lap top so am thinking there is something in the router blocking these.  The phone says various things like "access denied" "incorrect password" while my lap top just keeps asking for a password.

Any ideas before I get them to replace the router?

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 37

Re: BT Smart Hub denying access to android and laptop

Go to solution

have you tried changing the wireless mode from default 1 to either 2 or 3 and see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
emnov74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 37

Go to solution
Yep tried that. Removed device from hub. Turned hub on and off and got Wi-Fi back....2 hours later it's dropped again. I've done literally everything. I'm using an Ethernet on the laptop like the old days! I think I'm going to request a new router now
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 37

Go to solution

Have you tried changing the wireless channel again?

Unfortunately, the hub only allows you to select one of three channels. There are 13 channels available.

If those three channels are being used by other nearby routers, then you are likely to get disconnects.

You may have the same problem with another home hub 6.

0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 37

Go to solution

I just wanted to add, that whenever I have seen a correct password, flagged as incorrect, it has been due to channel interference. If changing channels hasn't helped, try moving the router. Other sources of interference are wifi speakers, cordless telephones, microwaves, to name but a few....

0 Ratings
emnov74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 37

Go to solution
Can't move the router as it's on the main phone socket but I have noticed that lately there are 2 new BT Wi-Fi free channels available By Wi-Fi FON and BT Wi-Fi x - could these be causing a problem. Just seems pointless paying for unlimited fibre if certain devices are not allowed on it!
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 37

Go to solution

The two extra SSIDs should not present any problems, as they are on the same channel, and do not interfere with the main BT Home Hub signal.

Many of the reported issues seem to involve the home hub 6, especially in areas where there a lots of other wireless signals

as interference and connection problems are going to be a problem.

The fact that it only allows one of three channels to be selected, instead of one of 13 channels, makes matters worse.

Personally, I would not bother with the home hub 6, as there are better alternatives that allow all channels to be selected, and do not transmit the extra signals anyway.

0 Ratings
emnov74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 37

Go to solution
I do live with lots of houses around so lots of wifis. Maybe if be better to ask for a different router? I never had thos issue with sky just slower internet but then I could choose from lots of channels
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 37

Go to solution

BT cannot supply a better router than the HH6, however there are plenty of third party routers that work well, and give you the full selection of 13 wireless channels.

Prices start at £30 and can be obtained locally if needed.

See TP-Link TD-W9970 - replacement for home hub

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 37

Go to solution

@emnov74 wrote:
I do live with lots of houses around so lots of wifis. Maybe if be better to ask for a different router? I never had thos issue with sky just slower internet but then I could choose from lots of channels

There's an app you can download onto your android smart phone called WiFi Analyzer, it can be a bit cumbersome to get the hang of (depending upon your technical knowledge), but it will show you graphically what SSIDs' are on what channel in your area and help you select a better channel than the one you're on

0 Ratings