Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 21 of 37

Re: BT Smart Hub denying access to android and laptop

Go to solution

I'll be very interested to see how this works out - I have a Wifi problem >with a new TV.<  Is it Sky, is it the TV or is it BT? I've no idea!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 37

Go to solution

@Taffy078 wrote:

I'll be very interested to see how this works out - I have a Wifi problem >with a new TV.<  Is it Sky, is it the TV or is it BT? I've no idea!

I am sure it will be fine. The TP link is only wireless "n", but that is more than adequate for most people. It also seems to have a good range, as I have one in a upstairs back room, and the wireless signal. covers the whole house, and the guest network even extends to next door (separate house).

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 23 of 37

Go to solution

Hello Keith. There was a free Home Hub 4 offer but it's disappeared so I've bitten the bullet and will only know if I did the right thing afterwards. Smiley Sad 

I've upgraded my BT package from Unlimited BT Infinity 1 to Unlimited BT Infinity 2 effective from the 12th December. Fingers crossed.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 37

Go to solution

Deleted

0 Ratings
emnov74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 37

Go to solution

Hi all...given up with smart hub dropping connections and refusing access (even got a replacement) so going to try a TP Link modem router and wonder which is best? Currys do two but one is single band and one dual. The single has been suggested. Any ideas? Both same price

**Edited By Mod**

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 37

Go to solution

You cannot post direct links to e-commerce sites on this forum.

The second one you listed does not have any external aerials, and is just intended for portable use and very limited range.

It can only use a 3G mobile dongle, and cannot connect to a phone line.

The first one, I have suggested would be fine, and I use one here, with no connection issues.

Full details on my website. TP-Link TD-W9970 information and configuration

The other alternative is the TP Link Archer VR400 which is dual band, but much more expensive.

Personally, I would just try the cheaper one, as it works just fine.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 37

Go to solution

@emnov74

If you do opt for the first one, and have any specific issues that are not covered on my website, then please start a new thread on this forum, and I will try to help. I have a spare one here which I can use to provide extra guidance.

0 Ratings
emnov74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 37

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe Thank you - I am picking this one up tonight and have looked at your site - I am a little worried about setting it up, I assume I need to go through each of the sections step by step so will contact you if I have any issues.  

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 37

Go to solution

Its actually very easy, as there is a setup wizard. Just use the manual setup for BT Infinity, as some issues with auto detect have been reported.

Step 1 on my instructions, then step 3, and then it should connect. The status screen will show what is going on.

Do you use BT YouView?

0 Ratings
emnov74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 37

Go to solution
Thank you. Sorry for sounding thick but am i connecting the smart hub to this or connecting it directly as I would just a router?
0 Ratings