Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 37

Re: BT Smart Hub denying access to android and laptop

Go to solution

It is a complete replacement for the HH, just connect it directly.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 37

Go to solution

@emnov74 wrote:
Thank you. Sorry for sounding thick but am i connecting the smart hub to this or connecting it directly as I would just a router?

Just connect your computer to it, using an Ethernet cable. Plug the broadband cable into the same place as the home hub was plugged into. Then using a web browser goto http://192.168.1.1    (this is different than the home hub)

You will be asked to login with the default name and password, which is listed in the setup booklet.

You then simply select the "Quick Setup" option, and follow the instructions on my website. You might like to print the initial setup pages out first, before you disconnect the home hub.

Once you have got a connection, you can then access any of the other pages on my website, so you can configure the wireless connection.

I have added a new page about the wireless settings.

Unplug and turn off the smart hub.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 37

Go to solution
0 Ratings
emnov74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 37

Go to solution

Yes I realised after disconnecting I was unable to get the details on your site but I followed the Quick Steps and set it up manually and it seems to have connected instantly and is working - I haven't had to do anything except the quick set up so assume all is ok with it. The configurations you are talking about I assume are parental controls etc?  Is there anything else I need to do once I have set it all up via the quick steps?  All our phones, my NowTV and Hive heating have all connected with no issues and the speed compared to the Smart Hub is sooooo much better so thank you, so glad I got this now. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 37

Go to solution

I told you it was easy Smiley Wink

a bargain for the price.

There is no need to setup anything else, unless there is something specific that you would like to do.

If you need to use parental controls, there is just a basic one which allows a whitelist of sites, however its very easy to reconfigure the firewall to block specific sites instead.

If you need help with this, please let me know, and I can add some extra pages.

You can control the priority of each connected user, and how much bandwidth they are allowed.

You may also notice there is a guest wireless network which visitors can use, and has a separate password. They cannot access your private network.

The router also has a 3G backup facility, using a mobile broadband dongle, which is useful if you lose your Internet connection due to a fault, but watch out for data usage !

I think you will find the single 2.4GHz band works just fine, and you can select any of the 13 wireless channels.

0 Ratings
emnov74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 37

Go to solution
Thank you for all your help. It was very easy as you said and my daughter's phone has connected immediately with no "denied access " rubbish that the smart hub says all the time! And hopefully TV will work with no dropping of connections. A bargain yes and especially considering the cost of all the extra data I have been having to buy as phones won't connect! So again thank you for your help.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 37

Go to solution

Everything should be fine. Smart TVs are always best connected using an Ethernet cable, as it saves using up valuable wireless bandwidth, and is more reliable. I hope your TV works without any problems.

If you need any more help, it would be best to start a separate thread on this forum.

0 Ratings